1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with designing horizontal framework for UDL

1. Feb 26, 2015 #1
    Hi,

For my engineering project for college I am designing a rotating table/steel frame structure for supporting a mild steel panel which weighs 180kg. My previous experience with UDL's has only been in using a 2D beam like situation to calculate how the load is spread, bending of the beam and reaction forces etc. For this project I need to figure out how the load will affect the frame and how many supporting braces I will require in the frame to comfortably deal with a 180-200kg mass. As the table/frame will rotate through 180deg, the structure will be connected to a support at each end via a 2+1/4" shaft so it is free to rotate.

I am clearly a beginner at this! Can anyone please give me some advice on how I should go about making calculations to decide on my framework and support requirements. I can attach a sketch if it would help?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2015 #2

tech99

Gold Member

Can you send the sketch?

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3
    Hi tech99,

Apologies for the delay in uploading. Any advice you can offer on design considerations or anything associated with this project would be greatly appreciated. I have since decided to use rectangular hollow section beams for the longitudinal/end pieces of the frame to minimise deflection of the beam when loaded. I have done some basic calculations for deflection of a singular simply supported beam but am unsure how this will change when I am considering a beam supported from the axel's at both ends?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook