Help with designing horizontal framework for UDL

In summary, a beginner is trying to figure out how to design a rotating table/frame with support requirements. They are unsure about how to calculate deflection and support requirements.
Tim Allen
Hi,

For my engineering project for college I am designing a rotating table/steel frame structure for supporting a mild steel panel which weighs 180kg. My previous experience with UDL's has only been in using a 2D beam like situation to calculate how the load is spread, bending of the beam and reaction forces etc. For this project I need to figure out how the load will affect the frame and how many supporting braces I will require in the frame to comfortably deal with a 180-200kg mass. As the table/frame will rotate through 180deg, the structure will be connected to a support at each end via a 2+1/4" shaft so it is free to rotate.

I am clearly a beginner at this! Can anyone please give me some advice on how I should go about making calculations to decide on my framework and support requirements. I can attach a sketch if it would help?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tim Allen said:
Hi,

For my engineering project for college I am designing a rotating table/steel frame structure for supporting a mild steel panel which weighs 180kg. My previous experience with UDL's has only been in using a 2D beam like situation to calculate how the load is spread, bending of the beam and reaction forces etc. For this project I need to figure out how the load will affect the frame and how many supporting braces I will require in the frame to comfortably deal with a 180-200kg mass. As the table/frame will rotate through 180deg, the structure will be connected to a support at each end via a 2+1/4" shaft so it is free to rotate.

I am clearly a beginner at this! Can anyone please give me some advice on how I should go about making calculations to decide on my framework and support requirements. I can attach a sketch if it would help?

Thanks!
Can you send the sketch?

Hi tech99,

Apologies for the delay in uploading. Any advice you can offer on design considerations or anything associated with this project would be greatly appreciated. I have since decided to use rectangular hollow section beams for the longitudinal/end pieces of the frame to minimise deflection of the beam when loaded. I have done some basic calculations for deflection of a singular simply supported beam but am unsure how this will change when I am considering a beam supported from the axel's at both ends?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 537

What is UDL?

Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is an educational framework that focuses on designing instruction and learning experiences that are accessible and effective for all students, regardless of their individual learning needs and styles.

What is a horizontal framework for UDL?

A horizontal framework for UDL refers to the structure and organization of the instructional design, with a focus on providing multiple means of representation, action and expression, and engagement within each lesson or learning experience.

How do I begin designing a horizontal framework for UDL?

The first step is to identify the learning goals and objectives for your lesson or unit. Then, consider the diverse needs and abilities of your students and how you can provide multiple options for them to access and engage with the content. Finally, plan for multiple ways for students to demonstrate their understanding and apply their learning.

What are some examples of a horizontal framework for UDL?

Some examples of a horizontal framework for UDL include using multimedia and visual aids to present information, providing hands-on activities and simulations for students to apply their learning, and offering a variety of options for students to demonstrate their understanding, such as written assignments, presentations, or videos.

How can I ensure that my horizontal framework for UDL is effective?

To ensure the effectiveness of your horizontal framework for UDL, it is important to regularly assess and reflect on the learning outcomes and adjust your instructional design accordingly. Additionally, seeking feedback from students and incorporating their input and suggestions can help make your framework more inclusive and engaging for all learners.