1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing priority encoder with 4-16 decoder and 8-1 MUX

Tags:
  1. Dec 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Design a 4 input priority encoder with a 4 to 16 decoder and a 8 to 1 multiplexer.

2. Relevant equations
    Priority encoder is where when the highest priority bit is equal to a logical "1", then the rest of the lower priority input are ignored.

3. The attempt at a solution

For the MUX design, since we can only use a 8 to 1 MUX, means we'll have to use at least 2 of them. But I'm not very sure on how to relate the 2 outputs into one.

For the decoder design, I'm just confused. Shouldn't a priority encoder be a encoder, while a decoder is used to decode input? Is it possible that the question I have meant something else but a decoder?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The end result will be a 2 bit output, yes? That fits with needing two single bit output multiexers.
    Each multiplexer would need (in principle) 11 inputs, no?
    As for encoder versus decoder, the distinction is a bit artificial. I guess that decoders typically arrange that no two different inputs vectors produce the same output, whereas encoders typically cannot do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted