• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Designing priority encoder with 4-16 decoder and 8-1 MUX

Homework Statement

Design a 4 input priority encoder with a 4 to 16 decoder and a 8 to 1 multiplexer.

Homework Equations

Priority encoder is where when the highest priority bit is equal to a logical "1", then the rest of the lower priority input are ignored.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the MUX design, since we can only use a 8 to 1 MUX, means we'll have to use at least 2 of them. But I'm not very sure on how to relate the 2 outputs into one.

For the decoder design, I'm just confused. Shouldn't a priority encoder be a encoder, while a decoder is used to decode input? Is it possible that the question I have meant something else but a decoder?

Answers and Replies

Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The end result will be a 2 bit output, yes? That fits with needing two single bit output multiexers.
Each multiplexer would need (in principle) 11 inputs, no?
As for encoder versus decoder, the distinction is a bit artificial. I guess that decoders typically arrange that no two different inputs vectors produce the same output, whereas encoders typically cannot do that.