Designing the Best Potato Launcher: Catapults, Compressed Gas, and Combustion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
SirMarksAlot
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
hello, i was wondering what people here would think the best design type for a potato launcher would be. I looked at catapults, ones that use compressed gas, and combustion. firstly, which would be the easiest to make?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, SirMarksAlot.
My personal approach is something that you probably shouldn't try. I would build a grenade-launcher type adapter that clamps onto the muzzle of a 12-gauge, and use a blank cartridge to launch it. There's a very good chance that the Mentors will delete this, since I don't know if it falls within forum guidelines.
 
ya, i definitely don't have access to a 12-gauge, or any gun.
 
Danger said:
Welcome to PF, SirMarksAlot.
My personal approach is something that you probably shouldn't try. I would build a grenade-launcher type adapter that clamps onto the muzzle of a 12-gauge, and use a blank cartridge to launch it. There's a very good chance that the Mentors will delete this, since I don't know if it falls within forum guidelines.

Sounds reasonably safe to me, as long as you use a standard adapter and a blank cartridge.

(and people wonder where Danger got his nickname...)
 
berkeman said:
(and people wonder where Danger got his nickname...)


My only actual use of this system was an inverse version. I built an adaptor that held a 12 gauge shell on the end of a .177 pellet rifle. Pretty big bang for a spring-loaded gun. :devil:
 
I made one with about $20 in pvc from home depot. Just glue a bunch of pvc together with a screw off back and a wider chamber. Then I used an electric sparker from a lighter which was connected to two screws that were drilled into it until they were very close allowing a spark on the inside. Works great after at least 100 shots. Great fun and a lot of power, so be careful.