Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing using Impact Energy of Plastics

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1
    Hi, I am attempting to design a plastic scrap grinder. To begin my calculations I need to know the force needed to shear a certain area of plastic. After noticing that by using the shear stress equation would result in a huge, unrealistic force, it came to my mind that the plastic will be cut by impact since the grinder is composed of a rotor, rotating at 1200 rpm.

How can I use values of impact energies (Izod / Charpy etc.) to determine how much energy is dissipated in shearing a certain area of this material and thus deriving the required force?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

You know that it won't be homogenous, right? You have to figure for the worst-case scenario, which means the toughest plastic that you'll ever encounter. Anything less is a walk in the park. As to the math part, I have no idea.

4. Dec 19, 2014 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

How are you calculating the area over which the force is applied? Is the grinder like a sanding drum that applies roughly a uniform force over its area of contact with the plastic?

5. Dec 19, 2014 #4
    I will not be actually building this machine, but my task is to design it. It is intended to granulate sprues from injection moulding machines and other small plastic parts. Yes, I considered the toughest plastic that a typical injection moulding machine uses.

I considered the worst case scenario as a slab of plastic 1cm thick, having a roughly 4cm length per cut. I got a length of 4cm from a calculation which takes into consideration a throughput of 300 kg/hr and a screen mesh having 6mm in diameter holes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook