Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Destructive interference in electron diffraction

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    Whatt happens during destructive interference of electrons. Two electrons(waves) combine and cancel each other out so no dot is produced on the screen?? Then where did the electrons go?

First of all : How is a dot created on the screen? - is it because of the wave nature of electron or particle nature?
    IF its because of wave nature - i understand this as the waves get cancelled but if its becasue of particle nature i dont understand as electrons do reach the screen right?

Hope i make sense

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

The same question could be asked for any type of waves: electromagnetic waves, sound waves, etc. When they interfere, 'where do they go?'

Interference is a continuous process: as the waves approach the screen, some of them are diverted. The picture we have of there being two separate waves right up until the moment they hit the screen, at which time they suddenly interfere, makes it simpler to visualize, but in fact there is only one combined wave throughout. It's a wave of probability, and it does obey a continuity equation: it does not disappear, it flows continuously from one place to the next.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook