How Is Destructive Interference Achieved with Two In-Phase Speakers?

In summary, the speakers are 3.2 meters apart and facing the same direction, producing a 214 Hz tone. The shortest distance for destructive interference is where the peak of one speaker cancels with the trough of the other. This can be found by setting up a coordinate system and finding the point where the difference between the distance from that point to each speaker is half a wavelength. This would be at a distance of 1.6 meters, as the wavelength is 1.6 meters and the speakers are in phase. The equation to solve for this distance is sqrt(3.22+ y2)-y= 0.8.
Gentec
Good day - I would appreciate some direction. I have done the problem a few different ways and end up with different answers each time - which seems to be reasonable answers to all.

Two speakers are 3.2 m apart and facing the same directions are in phase. They each produce 214 Hz tone. What is the shortest distance directly in front of one speaker where there would be destructive interference?. Take sof sound 343 m/s.

Am i right to treat m =0 seeing it is in phase?

Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean m=0?

It seems the speakers are 3.2 meters (m) apart.

Have you calculated the wavelength of the sound, and compared it to the separation? Remember the speakers are in phase.

Complete destructive interference is the distance where the peak of one cancels with the trough of the other.

Try to determine the distance to the first trough in front of one of the speakers.

Thanks for getting back to me.
I have worked out the lamda to be 1.6 m. Do I need to set up the right equations to have them going opposite directions and see where they sum to zero?

if a wave length is 1.6 meters, then since a wave length is half the distance to the other speaker the cancelation point should be?

I would say 1.6 m but would that be all there is to the question though.

Find the first point (there will be an infinite number of them) such that the difference between the distance from that point to each speaker is exactly half a wavelength.

Set up a coordinate system so that one of the speakers is at (0,0) and the other is at (3.2,0). Assuming that you are directly in front of the first speaker, your position is (0,y) so your distance from that speaker is y and your distance from the other speaker is sqrt(3.22+ y2). Find y so that
sqrt(3.22+ y2)-y= 0.8.

Apparently you did not understand what ComputerGeek said.

Thanks for the clarification. Appreciated

What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in the overall amplitude of the wave.

What causes destructive interference to occur?

Destructive interference is caused by the superposition of two waves that are out of phase with each other. This means that the peaks and troughs of one wave align with the troughs and peaks of the other wave, resulting in cancellation.

How is destructive interference different from constructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet and combine to create a wave with a larger amplitude. In contrast, destructive interference results in a decrease in amplitude.

What are some real-life examples of destructive interference?

A common example of destructive interference is noise-cancelling headphones, which use destructive interference to cancel out background noise and create a quieter environment for the wearer. Other examples include noise-reducing barriers on highways and noise-cancelling technology in cars.

How does destructive interference impact sound and light waves?

Destructive interference can cause sound and light waves to cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in volume or brightness. This can have practical applications, such as in noise-cancelling technology, but can also lead to unwanted effects, such as dead spots in a concert venue where sound waves cancel each other out.