Detecting Falling Objects with a LiDAR

In summary, the speaker is experimenting with a LiDAR system and aims to detect falling objects. The system has a scanning frequency of 100Hz and an angular resolution of 1°. They have been able to detect objects of a certain size moving horizontally, but are unsure of how to detect objects falling vertically. They suggest rotating the LiDAR to a vertical position and question the need for a LiDAR if only detecting the presence of an object. The speaker clarifies their goal is to detect objects being thrown over a balcony or edge and avoid false positives such as birds. Another individual suggests using a conventional camera and image processing instead.
daniel1211
I am experimenting with a LiDAR system, one of my goals is to detect falling objects. The scanning frequency is 100Hz with an angular resolution of 1°. I have been able to detect an object if it is a certain size or greater moving horizontally but I'm not sure what I should focus on to make sure that it will see an object falling vertical as it scans horizontal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do the objects fall?
If you can just scan a narrow horizontal line, I guess you'll miss some objects that fall through faster than your scanning frequency.

rotate the LIDAR so it is vertical

do you need to detect speed of the falling object or just that it is there ?

if just that it is there ... why use a LIDAR ?

tell us more about what you are trying to achieve ... as in explain you project clearly

Dave

I would like to detect if objects are being thrown over a balcony, edge, bridge, etc... but I would also like to avoid false positives such as a bird.

daniel1211 said:
but I would also like to avoid false positives such as a bird.

in an open area ... that is going to be virtually impossible

Well, most birds have a motion different from falling objects, but I don't see why a LIDAR would be used. A conventional camera and some image processing looks easier.

Likes davenn

What is LiDAR?

LiDAR stands for Light Detection and Ranging. It is a remote sensing method that uses laser light to measure distances and create 3D models of objects and landscapes.

How does LiDAR detect falling objects?

LiDAR uses a laser beam to measure the distance to an object by calculating the time it takes for the laser light to reflect back to the sensor. If an object is falling, the distance measured by the laser will decrease over time, indicating that the object is falling.

What are the benefits of using LiDAR to detect falling objects?

LiDAR can accurately detect the position and velocity of falling objects, which can be used for early warning systems and monitoring purposes. It can also differentiate between different types of objects, such as rocks and debris, which can help with identifying potential hazards.

What are the limitations of using LiDAR to detect falling objects?

LiDAR can only detect objects that are within its range and that have a reflective surface. It can also be affected by weather conditions, such as heavy rain or fog, which can reduce its accuracy.

How can LiDAR data be used to prevent accidents caused by falling objects?

By analyzing the data collected by LiDAR, it is possible to identify areas where falling objects are more likely to occur and take preventative measures, such as installing protective barriers or implementing warning systems. LiDAR data can also be used to track changes in the environment and identify potential hazards before they become a danger.