1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Detecting Falling Objects with a LiDAR

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    I am experimenting with a LiDAR system, one of my goals is to detect falling objects. The scanning frequency is 100Hz with an angular resolution of 1°. I have been able to detect an object if it is a certain size or greater moving horizontally but I'm not sure what I should focus on to make sure that it will see an object falling vertical as it scans horizontal.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where do the objects fall?
    If you can just scan a narrow horizontal line, I guess you'll miss some objects that fall through faster than your scanning frequency.

4. Apr 19, 2015 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

rotate the LIDAR so it is vertical

do you need to detect speed of the falling object or just that it is there ?

if just that it is there ... why use a LIDAR ?

tell us more about what you are trying to achieve ... as in explain you project clearly

Dave

5. Apr 19, 2015 #4
    I would like to detect if objects are being thrown over a balcony, edge, bridge, etc... but I would also like to avoid false positives such as a bird.

6. Apr 20, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

in an open area ... that is going to be virtually impossible

7. Apr 20, 2015 #6

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, most birds have a motion different from falling objects, but I don't see why a LIDAR would be used. A conventional camera and some image processing looks easier.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook