Detection of a Specific Fluorescent Wavelength via iPhone camera

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of fluorescent bacteria and the possibility of filtering out all other light except for the light at the emission frequency from an iPhone/Android camera. It is suggested that an actual filter may be needed in front of the camera, and options for external optics or a specialized app are mentioned. Additionally, the importance of optical filters for fluorescence instrumentation and their role in spectral control and detection sensitivity is highlighted.
Carroll1
So in my lab, I am working with fluorescent bacteria, specifically GFPa1 (green fluorescent protein a1) which are excited with around 500nm light and emit around 516 nm. Forgive me if these aren't correct, it isn't essential for this write-up and my notes aren't in front of me. Is there any way to filter out all other light except for the light at the emission frequency from an iPhone/Android camera? I'm not too familiar with the cameras, but recognize that they function using HSV which can correspond to colors we see on the screen. So is it possible to make the camera only recognize light with an HSV corresponding to a specific wavelength (or even a small range of wavelength of light such as +/- 5 nm)? This would be very convenient for detection of the fluorescence, and could do it on the fly.

I haven't had too much luck finding stuff elsewhere online, but perhaps there already is an app or something that can do this if it is possible. Any help or knowledge would be fantastic!

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably need an actual filter in front of the camera. The built in filters probably have rather broad transmission bands for red, green, and blue. That's probably too wide for your purposes, but you could check the green channel and see if that works.

Optical filters for wavelength selection in fluorescence instrumentation. Erdogan T.
Source: Semrock, Inc., Rochester, NY, USA.

Abstract
"Fluorescence imaging and analysis techniques have become ubiquitous in life science research, and they are poised to play an equally vital role in in vitro diagnostics (IVD) in the future. Optical filters are crucial for nearly all fluorescence microscopes and instruments, not only to provide the obvious function of spectral control, but also to ensure the highest possible detection sensitivity and imaging resolution. Filters make it possible for the sample to "see" light within only the absorption band, and the detector to "see" light within only the emission band. Without filters, the detector would not be able to distinguish the desired fluorescence from scattered excitation light and autofluorescence from the sample, substrate, and other optics in the system. Today the vast majority of fluorescence instruments, including the widely popular fluorescence microscope, use thin-film interference filters to control the spectra of the excitation and emission light. Hence, this unit emphasizes thin-film filters. After briefly introducing different types of thin-film filters and how they are made, the unit describes in detail different optical filter configurations in fluorescence instruments, including both single-color and multicolor imaging systems. Several key properties of thin-film filters, which can significantly affect optical system performance, are then described. In the final section, tunable optical filters are also addressed in a relative comparison."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21455966

Edit: Here's one supplier: http://www.madebydelta.com/delta/Business_units/LO/Filters/Filters_main.page

Last edited:
Carroll1 said:
<snip>Is there any way to filter out all other light except for the light at the emission frequency from an iPhone/Android camera?<snip>

I suspect you are going to need a filter in front of the camera, but a quick way to check is to take a picture of (for example) an arc lamp and see if you can pull out the discrete lines.

These folks used external optics:
http://www.spectroscopynow.com/deta...hone-turns-into-a-spectrometer.html?tzcheck=1
If you only want to detect the signal and not image, you may be able to use this:
http://download.cnet.com/spectraSnapp/3000-20415_4-75823442.html

I am excited to hear about your work with fluorescent bacteria and the potential use of iPhone cameras for detection. I am not familiar with the exact specifications of the iPhone camera and its ability to filter out specific wavelengths of light. However, I do know that there are various filters and lenses that can be attached to cameras to selectively capture certain wavelengths of light. It may be worth exploring these options to see if they can be used with the iPhone camera to specifically detect the emission wavelength of GFPa1. Additionally, there may be apps or software programs that can be used to analyze the HSV values of the captured image and filter out any unwanted wavelengths. I would suggest further experimentation and research to determine the feasibility of using the iPhone camera for your specific detection needs. Good luck with your work!

What is the purpose of using an iPhone camera for detecting a specific fluorescent wavelength?

The purpose of using an iPhone camera for detecting a specific fluorescent wavelength is to provide a convenient and portable way for scientists to capture and analyze fluorescence data. With the advancement of smartphone technology, iPhone cameras now have the capability to detect specific wavelengths of light, making it a useful tool for researchers in various fields.

How accurate is the detection of a specific fluorescent wavelength via iPhone camera?

The accuracy of the detection depends on the quality of the iPhone camera and the specific app or software being used. Generally, iPhone cameras have a high resolution and sensitivity, allowing for accurate detection of fluorescence signals. However, it is important to calibrate the camera and use appropriate filters for optimal results.

What types of fluorescent signals can be detected using an iPhone camera?

An iPhone camera can detect a wide range of fluorescent signals, including but not limited to: fluorescent dyes, fluorescent proteins, quantum dots, and fluorescently-labeled biomolecules. The specific fluorescent signal that can be detected depends on the wavelength of light emitted by the molecule or substance being analyzed.

Can an iPhone camera be used for quantitative analysis of fluorescence?

Yes, an iPhone camera can be used for quantitative analysis of fluorescence. There are various apps and software available that allow for accurate measurement and analysis of fluorescence signals captured by an iPhone camera. However, it is important to calibrate the camera and use appropriate standards for accurate quantification.

Are there any limitations to using an iPhone camera for detecting a specific fluorescent wavelength?

One limitation of using an iPhone camera for detecting a specific fluorescent wavelength is the potential for background noise or interference from ambient light. It is important to minimize these factors and use appropriate filters to improve the signal-to-noise ratio. Additionally, the sensitivity and resolution of the camera may not be as high as specialized fluorescence detection equipment, so it may not be suitable for all types of experiments.