Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinant of the electromagnetic matrix

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    hi there,
    In this wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_tensor
    we have the following invariant :

FαβFμη εαβμη = 8 E*B

However the determinant is the square of this quantity divided by 8, i.e. ( E*B )2 .

Now from the definition of the determinant for a 4x4 matrix , we have :

MiaMjbMkcMid εijkl = εabcd det(M) [D]

Now If I raise the expression 1/8 FαβFμη εαβμη to the power of 2, I would get :

1/8 FαβFμη εαβμη 1/8 FθλFσω εθλσω [E]

Now If I compare this expression with equation D above, I see that some indices do not fall into the right place and also in Equation D, we have the expression for the determinant , however in expression E, we see that we have the matrix F multiplied 4 times much like in expression D (or is it rows or columns that get multiplied).

We should also bear in mind that the magnetic field is the spatial part of F and thhat the electric field is the time part :

Fi0 = E and Fijεijk = Bk

How can we reconcile expression E with D then ? or is this an error perhaps ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2
    As always, I end up trying to answer my own question :) . So that others benefit .

We have for a skew symmetric tensor :

det(F) = Pf(F)2 , we would need to show that 1/8 εαβγδFαβFγδ = Pf(F)

Now since F is skew symmetric, we would find 2!2!2! = 8 terms which have similar (and counting the levi civita tensor evenness and oddness) indices. There are 3 such terms, namely

8 FαβFγδ - 8 FαγFβδ + 8 FαδFβγ where for Levi civita, the 0123 combination is taken as +1
    and so one would obtain the Pf(F). No need to prove that D and E are equivalent.
    Hope I got it right.

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    Typo : that should have been (2!*2!)*2 and not 2!*2!*2! - sorry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook