1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine acceleration when velocity is v=x^3-4x^2+7x

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    The velocity of a particle moving along the x axis is given by v=[tex]x^{3}[/tex]-4[tex]x^{2}[/tex]+7x whwere x is in meters and v in m/s. determine the acceleration when x=5m...

the thing i know is that i just can't differentiate v to get y, since it is a function of x..

i dont know if chain rule would work..and i dont know how to do it..

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2
    Where are you getting a "y"?

Just find [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}|_{x=5m}[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    sorry..i typed the wrong letter...it should be "a"..

may you pls explain further.. should i differentiate the equation?

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4
    Well acceleration is defined as a rate of change of velocity: [tex]\frac{d(v)}{dt}[/tex].

Since acceleration is just a change in velocity, you can differentiate a velocity function to get an acceleration function.

As to differentiating the function, I don't believe you'd need to use the chain rule at all, because v(t) is not in a form of f(g(x)) where f(x) and g(x) are two functions, it's cases like v(t)=f(g(x)) where the chain rule would be applied in differential calculus.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  6. Mar 2, 2008 #5
    a=dv/dt=3*x^2 - 8*x+7
    a(x=5m)=42 m/s^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?