Determine Altitude from Constant Speed and Acceleration of Satellite S

  • Thread starter Thread starter KillerZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Altitude
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 9K views
KillerZ
Messages
116
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The satellite S travels around the Earth in a circular path with a constant speed of 20 Mm/h. If the acceleration is 2.5m/s2, determine the altitude h. Assume the Earth's diameter to be 12 713 km.

i5akx3.png


Homework Equations



[tex]a_{n}= \frac{v^{2}}{\rho}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought that [tex]a_{t}= 0[/tex] because speed is constant and [tex]a_{n}= 20 Mm/h[/tex] and I just solved the above equation for [tex]\rho[/tex] but that came out to a negative number so that's not right.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
KillerZ said:

Homework Statement



The satellite S travels around the Earth in a circular path with a constant speed of 20 Mm/h. If the acceleration is 2.5m/s2, determine the altitude h. Assume the Earth's diameter to be 12 713 km.

i5akx3.png


Homework Equations



[tex]a_{n}= \frac{v^{2}}{\rho}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought that [tex]a_{t}= 0[/tex] because speed is constant and [tex]a_{n}= 20 Mm/h[/tex] and I just solved the above equation for [tex]\rho[/tex] but that came out to a negative number so that's not right.
Why are you using the tangential speed as the acceleration? The acceleration is, as you have stated, [itex]a = v^2/r[/itex]. But there is another expression for a as well, since the acceleration is provided by ...? Write the equation for that acceleration. With those two equations you should be able to solve for the two unknowns, a and r.

AM
 
Ops that was a typo. I meant [tex]a_{n}= 2.5 m/s^{2}[/tex]
 
KillerZ said:
Ops that was a typo. I meant [tex]a_{n}= 2.5 m/s^{2}[/tex]
Ok. I misread the question too. You are given the acceleration. What units must v have in your equation [itex]a_n = v^2/r[/itex]?

AM
 
v should be m/s I think. Which I calculated 20 Mm/h = 5555.556 m/s
 
KillerZ said:
v should be m/s I think. Which I calculated 20 Mm/h = 5555.556 m/s
So what is r? How is r related to h?

AM
 
I am assuming r would be to the center of the Earth and h is r - the Earth's radius.
 
Ok I think I got this:

[tex]v = 20 Mm/h = 5555.6 m/s[/tex]

[tex]a_{n} = 2.5 m/s^{2}[/tex]

[tex]a_{n}= \frac{v^{2}}{\rho}[/tex]

[tex]\rho= \frac{v^{2}}{a_{n}}[/tex]

[tex]\rho= \frac{5555.6}{2.5} = 12345679.01 m[/tex]


[tex]h = \rho - Earth's radius = 12345679.01 - 6356500 = 5989179.01 = 5989.18 km[/tex]
 
that looks better now, I think you were getting a negative number because you were subtracting the diameter instead of the radius.