Calculating Vertical Stone Throw Intersection Time and Altitude

• Thread starter postfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    stones
In summary, the two stones will meet at an altitude of 1.2 meters above ground after a time of 1.2 seconds.
postfan

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown up vertically from the ground (the gravitational acceleration is g=10 m/s2). After a time Δt= 1 s, a second stone is thrown up vertically. The first stone has an initial speed v1= 7.0 m/s, and the second stone v2= 7.0 m/s.

(a) At what time t after the first stone is thrown will the two stones be at the same altitude h above ground? (in seconds)

(b) At what altitude h above ground will the two stones meet? (in meters)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I created two equations : h=-.5gt^2+vt and h=-.5g(t-1)^2+v(t-1).
Solved for t and got 1.2, then substituted t=1.2 in the equations and got h=1.2. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try substituting those times back into the equations to see if they both produce 1.2m? (I did, and they do :smile:)

So am I right?

postfan said:
So am I right?
yes.

A stone is thrown up vertically from the ground (the gravitational acceleration is g=10 m/s2). After a time Δt= 1 s, a second stone is thrown up vertically. The first stone has an initial speed v1= 13.0 m/s, and the second stone v2= 18.0 m/s.

(a) At what time t after the first stone is thrown will the two stones be at the same altitude h above ground? (in seconds)

h=?

Friends, i would really appreciate if you help me out to solve this question.

jee_van said:
A stone is thrown up vertically from the ground (the gravitational acceleration is g=10 m/s2). After a time Δt= 1 s, a second stone is thrown up vertically. The first stone has an initial speed v1= 13.0 m/s, and the second stone v2= 18.0 m/s.

h=?

Friends, i would really appreciate if you help me out to solve this question.

hey, start a new/separate thread!

1. What is the trajectory of a vertically thrown stone?

When a stone is thrown vertically, its trajectory will follow a parabolic path. This means that the stone will go up and then come back down, eventually hitting the ground.

2. How does the initial velocity affect the height and distance of a vertically thrown stone?

The initial velocity, or the speed at which the stone is thrown, will affect the height and distance of the stone. The higher the initial velocity, the higher the stone will go and the further it will travel before hitting the ground.

3. What is the force acting on a vertically thrown stone?

The only force acting on a vertically thrown stone is the force of gravity. This is what causes the stone to accelerate towards the ground.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a vertically thrown stone?

Air resistance can slightly alter the trajectory of a vertically thrown stone by slowing it down as it moves through the air. However, for most practical purposes, the effect of air resistance on a vertically thrown stone is negligible.

5. How does the mass of the stone affect its trajectory when thrown vertically?

The mass of the stone does not affect its trajectory when thrown vertically. All objects, regardless of mass, fall towards the ground at the same rate due to the force of gravity. However, a heavier stone will require more force to be thrown vertically to achieve the same height and distance as a lighter stone.