Determine an expression for the period of motion.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 8K views
borobeauty66 said:
Just realized that mass isn't part of the 4Gpi p/3 equation, it comes later. :-P
Not quite sure what you mean. In any case, when you simplify your expression in post #25, the mass cancels out.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al said:
Not quite sure what you mean. In any case, when you simplify your expression in post #25, the mass cancels out.

What I mean is the equation give at the start is F = -(4Gpi p/ 3) m r r^

It's not that included in the brackets. So I suppose it's not included in the value of K
 
gif.latex?F%20=%20-(\frac{4G\pi%20\rho%20}{}3)%20m%20r%20\hat{r}.gif


This is the original equation.

I'm now wondering if

F = -k x is infact equal to the above?
 
borobeauty66 said:
gif.latex?F%20=%20-(\frac{4G\pi%20\rho%20}{}3)%20m%20r%20\hat{r}.gif


This is the original equation.

I'm now wondering if

F = -k x is infact equal to the above?
They both have the same form: Force = -(some constant)x, where x is the displacement from some equilibrium point. That's all that matters.
 
Ah ok.

So final equation is t = 2π/(√4Gπρ/3)/m

Still not sure how I can simplify this but thanks.
 
What I meant by saying the equation was wrong was in your #3 post you put the equation wrong. In actual fact the mass should come after the division. Thus

gif.latex?F%20=%20\frac{4G\pi%20\rho%20}{3}%20m%20r%20\hat{r}.gif


and not

gif.latex?F%20=%20\frac{4G\pi%20\rho%20m}{3}%20r.gif


which would make k = 4Gπρ and not k = 4Gπρm

Surely this means the m isn't canceled out at the end?
 
borobeauty66 said:
What I meant by saying the equation was wrong was in your #3 post you put the equation wrong. In actual fact the mass should come after the division. Thus

gif.latex?F%20=%20\frac{4G\pi%20\rho%20}{3}%20m%20r%20\hat{r}.gif


and not

gif.latex?F%20=%20\frac{4G\pi%20\rho%20m}{3}%20r.gif
Those expressions are identical! (Except for the unneeded unit vector.) For the same reason that (a/b)x is the same as (ax/b).
 
Doc Al said:
Those expressions are identical! (Except for the unneeded unit vector.) For the same reason that (a/b)x is the same as (ax/b).

ah ok!

thats what confused me, i thought they were different. :-P