1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine Aut(G)/Inn(G), given G = D4

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine [itex]Aut(G)/Inn(G)[/itex], given [itex]G = D4[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution

Let [itex]D_4 = \{e, x, y, y^2, y^3, xy, xy^2, xy^3\}[/itex]

Found that [itex]Inn(G) = \{\phi_e, \phi_x, \phi_y, \phi_{xy}\}[/itex] and [itex]\mathrm{Aut}(G)[/itex] consists of 8 bijective functions. But I can't find [itex]Aut(G)/Inn(G)[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is the order of the quotient?

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    Then, it must be 2. This means there are 2 functions, but I found 4, which is quite strange.

5. May 21, 2013 #4
  6. May 21, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

They're saying that there are 4 elements in ##Aut(G)## that are also in ##Inn(G)##. And that there are 4 elements in ##Aut(G)## that are not in ##Inn(G)##.

7. May 21, 2013 #6
    So this means that I need to find two cosets. This is the implication of what the writer is trying to show.

8. May 21, 2013 #7
    Let's give a good try to determine the set of outer automorphism.

Well, there are four automorphisms that map [itex]y[/itex] to [itex]y[/itex] while there are other four automorphisms that map [itex]y[/itex] to [itex]y^3[/itex]. So the first four belong to one set while the remaining four belong to another set. Thus, we obtain two sets in [itex]\mathrm{Aut}(G)/\mathrm{Inn}(G)[/itex].

Is this even right? I am assuming that is the answer.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  9. May 21, 2013 #8
    I wonder if the one I have is true for [itex]\mathrm{Out}(D_4)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted