Determine bubble volume change with given temperature

It should be 1.013x105.In summary, to find the new volume of the air bubble at the surface of the lake, we use the equation P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2 and plug in the given values of 1 cm3, 141 meters, 4 degrees Celsius, and 13.1 degrees Celsius. We also need to use the correct units for pressure, which is 1.013x105, and calculate the result to the nearest tenth of a cm3.
hummele

Homework Statement

A 1-cm3 air bubble at a depth of 141 meters and at a temperature of 4 degrees Celsius rises to the surface of the lake where the temperature is 13.1 degrees Celsius, to the nearest tenth of a cm3, what is its new volume?

Homework Equations

P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have trying to use previous posts to help me, but I do not know where I am going wrong. I attempted using these numbers.

((1.013x105)+(1000x9.8x141)(1)(286.25))/(1.013x102)(277.15)

However, I don't know if I am supposed to use (1.013x105) or 1000 because they are not given in the original problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please work with units, that makes things much easier. It looks like the brackets are wrong - something easy to spot if you work with units as they won't match there.

I guess the 102 in the denominator is a typo?

I think it does not matter which surface pressure you use, as long as you make it clear what you use. The effect is small and I guess for the rounded result both choices give the same value.

The P2 value is incorrect.

1. How does temperature affect the volume of a bubble?

The volume of a bubble is directly affected by temperature. As temperature increases, the volume of a bubble will also increase. This is because the molecules inside the bubble are moving faster, causing them to push against the surface of the bubble and increase its size.

2. Why is it important to determine the volume change of a bubble with temperature?

Understanding the volume change of a bubble with temperature is important for various applications, such as in the food and beverage industry, where carbonated drinks are affected by changes in temperature. It can also provide valuable insights into the behavior of gases in different environments.

3. What is the process for determining the volume change of a bubble with temperature?

The process for determining the volume change of a bubble with temperature involves measuring the initial volume of the bubble at a specific temperature and then repeating the measurement at a different temperature. The difference in volume between the two temperatures will give the volume change of the bubble with temperature.

4. How do you measure the volume of a bubble?

The volume of a bubble can be measured using various techniques such as using a graduated cylinder, a syringe, or a specialized bubble volume measurement device. These methods involve capturing the bubble and measuring the displaced volume of a liquid or gas.

5. What other factors can affect the volume change of a bubble with temperature?

Apart from temperature, other factors that can affect the volume change of a bubble include the type of gas inside the bubble, the atmospheric pressure, and the size of the bubble. The surface tension of the liquid surrounding the bubble can also have an impact on its volume change.