1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine Convergence/Divergence Of A Sequence

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I attached the problem and solution as one file.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just can't quite follow the solution. Could someone perhaps explain what the author is doing?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]a_n = \frac{1\cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdots (2n-1)}{(2n)^n}[/tex]
    I assume you have no problem with the first step, which is simply pairing each factor in the numerator with a factor in the denominator:
    [tex]a_n = \frac{1}{2n} \cdot \frac{3}{2n} \cdot \frac{5}{2n} \cdots \frac{2n-1}{2n}[/tex]
    Now all you have to do is recognize that each of these fractions is less than 1. Therefore the product of the fractions is smaller than any of the individual fractions, and in particular the product of the fractions is smaller than 1/(2n). Does that clarify the next step?

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3
    Oh, I think I see. So, essentially, we are breaking the fraction up into products, and then, in a way, evaluating the limit at that one term, because we know how the rest of the terms behave?

5. Sep 30, 2012 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We are breaking the fraction into products so we can more easily obtain an upper bound for it:

Clearly [itex]\frac{3}{2n} < 1, \frac{5}{2n} < 1, ..., \frac{2n-1}{2n} < 1[/itex], so [itex]a_n < \frac{1}{2n}[/itex].

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook