Determine its speed immediately before landing

• Thread starter calculator20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the question involves an object of mass 1000kg being projected off a 64m high cliff at 100 ms-1 and asks for the speed immediately before landing, ignoring air resistance. The solution uses the 'suvat' equations and calculates the speed to be 106.3m/s. Another method using conservation of energy is also mentioned.
calculator20

Homework Statement

Please could someone check if I have got this right? Many thanks

The question: An object of mass of 1000kg leaves a 64m high cliff at 100 ms-1 before descending to the ground. Ignoring air resistance, determine its speed immediately before landing.

Homework Equations

I think its a projectiles question using the 'suvat' equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I'm ignoring air resistance then I assume that mass is irrelevant?

Vertically I have:

u = 0m/s
v = ?
a = 10m/s2
s = 64m
t = ?

Horizontally I have:

u = 100m/s
v = 100 m/s
a = 0m/s2
s = ?
t = ?

Using the vertical components:

s = ut + 1/2 at^2
so
64 = 0 + 1/2 x 10 x t^2
so
t^2 = (2x64)/10 = 12.8s
t = 3.6s

Then

v = u + at
= 0 + (10x3.6)
= 36m/s

That gives me a horizontal velocity of 100m/s and a vertical velocity of 36m/s which using vector addition (Pythagoras) gives an answer of 106.3m/s.

If someone could tell me if I've got that right that would be great, many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it is best to use conservation of energy methods; the problem doesn't actually state that the object is projected horizontally off the cliff. But no matter, your solution using SUVAT looks good, since the speed will be the same regardless of the projection angle.

1. What is the speed of an object when it is about to land?

The speed of an object right before it lands is known as its landing speed. This speed varies depending on the type of object and the conditions of the landing.

2. How do scientists determine the speed of an object before landing?

Scientists use various methods to determine the speed of an object before it lands. One common method is to use high-speed cameras to capture the movement of the object and then calculate its speed using mathematical equations.

3. Is the speed of an object before landing always constant?

No, the speed of an object before landing is not always constant. It can vary depending on factors such as air resistance, gravity, and the mass of the object. Additionally, objects may also change their speed during the landing process.

4. Why is it important to determine the speed of an object before landing?

Determining the speed of an object before landing is important for safety reasons. It allows scientists to assess the potential impact of the landing and make necessary preparations to minimize any risks. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the object and its surroundings.

5. Can the speed of an object before landing be accurately determined?

Yes, the speed of an object before landing can be accurately determined using various scientific methods and technologies. However, external factors such as weather conditions and equipment limitations may affect the accuracy of the measurement.