1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Determine Mass moment of inertia about any axis given Ixx..

1. Jul 26, 2017 #1
    Hello,

I am analyzing human motion. for each body segment, I have measured values for Ixx, Iyy, and Izz in local coordinate system. I want to transfer all body properties from one coordinate system to another using a transformation matrix.

My question is that
    , is there a way to calculate mass moment or inertia about any known axis, given the mass moment of inertia about the three primary axes? Ixx, Iyy ans Izz

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the moment of inertia is a symmetric rank two tensor. Given the principal directions and their corresponding moments uniquely defines this tensor.

4. Jul 26, 2017 #3
    Does that mean I can simply use rotational transformation matrix as any other vector to get new moments of inertia ?

5. Jul 26, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it is a rank 2 tensor, not a vector. You marked this thread "A" so I assumed you were familiar with tensors. Written in matrix form, the components of a rank 2 tensor transform according to
    $$
    I' = A I A^T,
    $$
    where ##I## contains the components of the moment of inertia tensor in old system, ##I'## its components in the new system, and ##A## is the rotation matrix connecting the systems.

6. Jul 26, 2017 #5
    My bad. Thanks A lot:ok:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted