Determine max force and acceleration to safely make a turn

In summary, the coefficient of static friction between a tire and a dry road is about μs=0.85. The fastest you can safely drive the turn below is 8.33m/s2.
bornofflame

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction between a tire and a dry road is about μs=0.85. What is the fastest you can safely drive the turn below?
a. Use a free-body diagram and force equations to determine the maximum force and acceleration you can achieve.
b. Use the map to estimate the radius and maximum velocity of the turn.

I don't have the map readily available but the radius is estimated at approximately 110m.

Homework Equations

F = ma
f ≤ μsN
fmax = μs-maxN
W = mg
a = V2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

a[/B].
p101-test2-redo-1.png

I drew my force diagrams and got the following (repeated from image):
y: N - mg = may = 0, so: N = mg
x: f = max = μN = μmg, so: ax = μg

amax = μg = (0.85)(9.8m/s2) = 8.33m/s2

b. r = 110m, Vmax = ?
a = V2 / r, so: V2 = ar, and V = ±√(ar),
which means:
Vmax = ±√(a⊥-maxr) = ±√(8.33m/s2⋅110m)=±30.3m/s
I'm satisfied with my answer for part b, but am including it just in case there is something that is wrong with it. My main concern, however, is part a as I can't seem to figure out how to get the Fmax which I am assuming is friction max because that is the only force at work keeping the vehicle from sliding off the road.

Attachments

• p101-test2-redo-1.png
    p101-test2-redo-1.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 281
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know amax and you know that Fnet = ma, what do you think Fnet, max might be?
Also, I would drop the ± signs. You are calculating magnitudes of vectors here.

If you aren't given the mass of the vehicle, then I don't think you can get a numerical value for the force.

TSny said:
If you aren't given the mass of the vehicle, then I don't think you can get the force.
Oops, I didn't notice that it's not given. :oops:

kuruman said:
Also, I would drop the ± signs. You are calculating magnitudes of vectors here.

Ok. I'll keep that in mind. I was thinking to keep it b/c I was thinking of velocity as a vector, but it's definitely asking what is the fastest. Thanks for pointing that out.

TSny said:
If you aren't given the mass of the vehicle, then I don't think you can get a numerical value for the force.

Yeah. Unfortunately no mass which is what's blocking me.

bornofflame said:
Unfortunately no mass which is what's blocking me.
I'm not sure it wants a numerical value for that. The way it is worded, it could just be telling you the steps to go through to find the speed.

haruspex said:
I'm not sure it wants a numerical value for that. The way it is worded, it could just be telling you the steps to go through to find the speed.

Okay. I wasn't sure that there was a way to replace mass that I just wasn't seeing. I'll follow up with my professor. Thanks.

1. What is meant by "max force" and "acceleration" in this context?

"Max force" refers to the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object, such as a vehicle, during a turn without causing it to lose control or slip. "Acceleration" refers to the rate at which the velocity or speed of the object changes during the turn.

2. How is max force and acceleration determined for a specific turn?

Max force and acceleration can be determined by considering factors such as the speed of the vehicle, the sharpness of the turn, the weight and distribution of the load in the vehicle, and the condition of the road surface. These factors can be calculated using mathematical equations or determined through testing and simulation.

3. What are the potential risks of not determining the max force and acceleration for a turn?

If the max force and acceleration are not properly determined for a turn, it can lead to loss of control of the vehicle, causing accidents and injuries. It can also cause damage to the vehicle or its cargo, and increase wear and tear on the vehicle's components.

4. How does the determination of max force and acceleration differ for different types of vehicles?

The determination of max force and acceleration can vary for different types of vehicles, such as cars, trucks, and motorcycles. This is because these vehicles have different weights, sizes, and handling capabilities. Additionally, the determination may also vary depending on the purpose of the vehicle, such as for racing or transportation.

5. Are there any safety regulations or standards that govern the determination of max force and acceleration for turns?

Yes, there are safety regulations and standards that govern the determination of max force and acceleration for turns, such as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). These standards ensure that vehicles are designed and equipped to safely handle turns and other maneuvers without endangering the driver, passengers, or other road users.