1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Angular Acceleration, acceleration and friction force extered

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The circular disk of 595-mm radius has a mass of 16 kg with centroidal radius of gyration = 500 mm and has a concentric circular groove of 220-mm radius cut into it. A steady force T is applied at an angle θ to a cord wrapped around the groove as shown. If T = 41 N, θ = 39°, μs = 0.23, and μk = 0.19, determine the angular acceleration α of the disk, the acceleration a of its mass center G, and the friction force F which the surface exerts on the disk. The angular acceleration α is positive if counterclockwise, negative if clockwise; the acceleration a is positive if to the right, negative if to the left; and the friction force F is positive if to the right, negative if to the left.

I have attached an image of the question

2. Relevant equations

rs is the smaller radius of 220 mm

rL is the larger radius of 595 mm

I = k2
    m
    3. The attempt at a solution

I started off by drawing a FBD of the circular disk, in which I included the forces of T, mg, N (normal force) and F (friction force)

ƩFx: max = Tcos(θ) - F

ƩFy: may = Tsin(θ) - mg + N

ƩMG: IGα = Trs - FrL

So, now I have three equations but 5 unknowns: ax, ay, F, N and α. How do I find the other two equations?

EDIT:

I've just realized that ay = 0. So, could I use F = u*N, where u would be the kinetic of static friction, as the fourth equation?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2
    Yeah, I jumped the gun a bit.

It looked more complicated than it was. I've solved it now. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted