1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine resistance of a generator

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    What formula can I use to determine the resistance of an electrical generator?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2
    by resistance i mean the force from the magnets that is slowing down the rotation of the coils.

4. Apr 24, 2008 #3
    since no one has replied i guess its safe to assume its not possible to calculate.

5. Apr 24, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is most definitely possible to calculate the force, it is a simple application of the the Lorentz force.

Perhaps no one replied because you don't seem to have put any effort into trying to figure it out yourself.

6. Apr 24, 2008 #5
    [​IMG]
    This is the Lorentz formula. It requires me to know the electric field,the particle velocity, magnetic field and the electic charge. I know none of these values.
    All I know is how many rpm are required for a certain voltage to be generated.
    Is it possible to calculate the force generated with just this information?

7. Apr 25, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would also know, or could work out the current, which is the rate of flow of charge.

8. Apr 25, 2008 #7
    With that would I be able to determine the other required values?

9. Apr 25, 2008 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a good reference from the UNSW.

10. Apr 25, 2008 #9
    It isnt a homemade generator so i dont know the number of windings in the coil or the area of the coil.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?