Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the capacity of a boiler

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1
    i want to know how can i determine the capacity of a boiler needed to generate steam which will be used in order to heat water.

take into consedration that i know the flow rate of the water and the inlet and aoutlet temprature to and from the exchanger.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2

Gold Member

You haven't specified anything about the heat exchanger or its efficiency and you need to factor that in before you can determine how much steam (at what temperature and pressure) you need. Remember that steam inlet temperature to the heat exchanger is vitally important. Do you know why?
  4. Nov 11, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

For starters, delta-t times flow rate (in lb/hr) is btu....
  5. Nov 16, 2006 #4
    well you gotta check the power output you need.... the max load that is.... then you know the steam to be produced.... one way to estimate the size of the boiler.....
  6. Feb 23, 2007 #5
    i think the peak load needed can be calculated using Q=m c DeltaT, m being flow rate, c specific heat ratio, and DeltaT should be the difference in temperature from inlet to outlet thus telling us how much heat the water absorbed. after this step you would have to do complex forced convection/conduction/and convection to find the transfer of heat from steam to the water. to do this u would need those unknowns: conductivity of the pipe(or material), length, entry temp of steam, velocity of entry of steam. usually one of the last 2 is unknown and u wil use the formula to find it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?