Boiler volume for specific steam turbine?

In summary: You are clearly not qualified to ask questions about steam turbines or boilers in general. 3. The topic is closed to further discussion.
Golani51
New here, hope someone can help.

I'm experimenting with a heat source for a steam turbine. I have the specs for the turbine and the necessary conditions for operation, but at this point in my design I need to figure out the volume of the actual boiler/reservoir. A direct answer or the right equation would be infinitely helpful. Thanks in advance!

Specs:
Superheated steam 10- 12 bars abs. 200-220 degrees C
Steam consumption: .04kg/second
basic steam rate: 9.8kg/kwh
Other useful I formation: For the 15 kW you will need a steam boiler of minimum 150 kW / 160 kW / 180 kg/h.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Volume isn't really a relevant parameter for a boiler; what matters is surface area of heat exchange. It sounds like you are saying you are designing this boiler from the ground-up and heating using a heat source of your own design. The nature and capacity of your heat source will determine what the boiler should look like.

My heat source can be tailored to the exact temperature needed to run the turbine. What I need in order to design and manufacture it is the size of boiler needed at the optimum temperature etc. I can adjust the heat source to whatever is necessary, but in order to build the boiler I need to know the minimal size needed to run the turbine. (Based on the requirements listed previously.)

Golani51 said:
My heat source can be tailored to the exact temperature needed to run the turbine.
That's great: and you gave the steam flow rate and pressure/temperature, so we know the required capacity of the boiler. But again:
...but in order to build the boiler I need to know the minimal size needed to run the turbine. (Based on the requirements listed previously.)
Again, physical size is not directly related to capacity. For example, a gas fired boiler is much, much larger than an electric boiler of the same capacity (example, in the capacity range you need, about the size of a refrigerator: http://www.cleaverbrooks.com/Products-and-Solutions/Boilers/Electric/Model-CR/Index.aspx ). You will need to design the boiler based on how you intend to heat it. So: how exactly do you intend to heat it?

Edit: Also, please note that boilers and steam power systems are very dangerous. Due to the level of knowledge that is implied by your question, we may have to close this thread for safety/liability reasons (right now it is a bit vague to know for sure what you are attempting...). If you really don't know what you are doing and you are attempting to design/build your own steam power plant, I urge you to reconsider. People die this way.

Likes BvU and Bystander
Forgive my wording. I meant volume. I'm not as concerned about the actual physical size. That will end up being a factor of the design itself. Once I know the volume necessary for fluid heated to the proper temperature to run the turbine, I can move forward.

My design is electric in nature. The reason I need to know volume, is so I can determine if the electricity needed to run my heating elements is more or less than what the 15kw generator can produce. My heating elements produce much more wattage of heat than electricity they use. I'm fuzzy on the math, but this has been the focus of a lot of my research.

I'm also curious about using ORC fluids in place of water for the steam. From what I've found, ORC turbines can run on much lower temperatures than steam turbines.

In fact, adding something like acetone to water reduces its boiling temperature significantly. From what I have read it also bonds with the water atoms unlike alcohols and the like. Using such a mixture as a working fluid for the turbine would require less heat, and less wattage, without the difficulties associated with distillation of the mixture.

If I'm totally crawling down the wrong path I'm absolutely open to critiquing from those who know better. That's why I'm here.

My heating elements produce much more wattage of heat than electricity they use.

That defies the law of conservation of energy.
Perpetual motion machines are science fiction and are a banned topic here at PF.

I forgot to add "under the right circumstances." This is why I was hesitant to explain my heat source. My original question still stands, despite the science fiction.

Golani51 said:
Forgive my wording. I meant volume. I'm not as concerned about the actual physical size.
I know you meant volume - I said volume. You really aren't listening and we are going around in circles. Furthermore:

My heating elements produce much more wattage of heat than electricity they use.
This is impossible and since you are "fuzzy on the math", probably just an error on your part. This thread is closed for three reasons:

1. It is non-productive because you aren't listening to what you are being told.
2. We don't discuss perpetual motion here.
3. This is dangerous for someone with your level of knowledge to attempt and for liability and safety reasons we can't be a part of it.

I'm fuzzy on the math, but this has been the focus of a lot of my research.

Related to Boiler volume for specific steam turbine?

1. What is the purpose of determining the boiler volume for a specific steam turbine?

Determining the appropriate boiler volume for a specific steam turbine is crucial in ensuring the efficient and safe operation of the turbine. The boiler volume directly affects the amount and quality of steam produced, which in turn impacts the turbine's power output and overall performance.

2. How is the boiler volume for a specific steam turbine calculated?

The boiler volume is typically calculated by considering the steam flow rate, pressure, and temperature required by the turbine. These parameters are used to determine the heat transfer rate and the amount of steam needed to produce the desired power output. Boiler volume can also be calculated by considering the specific volume of steam at the inlet and outlet of the turbine.

3. What factors can affect the required boiler volume for a specific steam turbine?

The required boiler volume for a specific steam turbine can be affected by various factors such as the type and size of the turbine, the desired power output, the operating conditions (e.g. ambient temperature, altitude), and the fuel type used in the boiler. Other factors that may influence the boiler volume include the efficiency of the turbine and the steam cycle, as well as any losses or leaks in the system.

4. How does the boiler volume impact the efficiency of a steam turbine?

The boiler volume has a significant impact on the efficiency of a steam turbine. If the boiler volume is too small, the steam production may be insufficient to meet the turbine's power demands, resulting in decreased efficiency and reduced power output. On the other hand, if the boiler volume is too large, it can lead to excessive steam production and potential energy losses, also reducing the turbine's efficiency.

5. Can the boiler volume be adjusted for a specific steam turbine?

Yes, the boiler volume can be adjusted for a specific steam turbine by modifying the design of the boiler or adjusting the operating parameters. However, it is important to carefully consider the impact of any changes on the overall performance and efficiency of the turbine, as well as the safety and reliability of the system.