1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the currents in this electrical network

1. Oct 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is quite an easy problem but I'm not sure if I set up my equations correctly, and I want confirmation.

We are given the following circuit:

attachment.php?attachmentid=467003&d=1443975912.png

And our task is to determine the loop currents [itex] i_{1}, i_{2}, i_{3}, i_{4} [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Kirchhoff's first law: sum of currents entering and leaving a loop = 0.
    Kirchhoff's second law: sum of electromotive forces = sum of potential difference of loop.
    Ohm's law: V = IR.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Just apply Kirchoff's laws and Ohm's laws to get the following:

loop 1:
    [itex] 50(i_{1} - i_{2}) + 30(i_{1} - i_{3}) = 120V [/itex]

loop 2:
    [itex] 50(i_{2} - i_{1}) + 15i_{2} + 10(i_{2} - i_{3}) + 25(i_{2} - i_{4}) = 120V [/itex]

loop 3:
    [itex] 30(i_{3} - i_{1}) + 10(i_{3} - i_{2}) + 20(i_{3} - i_{4}) + 5i_{3} = 120V [/itex]

loop 4:
    [itex] 25(i_{4} - i_{2}) + 10i_{4} + 30i_{4} + 15i_{4} + 20(i_{4} - i_{3}) = 120V [/itex]

I'm not concerned about finding the numerical values, I'm just wondering if I've set these equations up correctly. Are some of these supposed to be -120 volts on the right hand side? If so, how do I determine that?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Only one loop has voltage sources in it, and that's Loop 1. So the RHS of all but the first equation should be zero.

Now, you'll want to be a bit careful about the voltage in Loop 1. Note that one lead is labeled +120 V and the other -120 V. How do you think that might come about? Pencil in what the "missing" circuitry might look like.

4. Oct 4, 2015 #3
    In that case, RHS of all the equations should be 0 except for loop 1 which should be 240V (potential difference). Is that correct?

5. Oct 4, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yup. Be sure to get its polarity right in your equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted