1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the electric field on the y axis

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two 2.04 µC point charges are located on the x axis. One is at x = 1.02 m, and the other is at x = -1.02 m. Determine the electric field on the y axis at y = 0.470 m.

2. Relevant equations
    E = k*q/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

First I find the distance from one of the charges to the point on the y-axis.
    [tex]\sqrt(1.02^2 + 0.47^2) = 1.123m[/tex]

I also find the angle between this line and the y-axis.
    [tex] tan^1 \frac{1.02}{0.47} = 65.26[/tex]

Then I found the component of the electric field at the point on the axis which lies along the y-axis.

[tex] E = k_e*\frac{q}{r^2} [/tex]
    [tex] E = 8.99e9 * \frac{2.04\mu C}{1.123m}*cos(65.26) [/tex]

As this only accounts for one charge, and the other charge is equal in magnitude and position, I double this number to get the answer.

Howerver, this gives me the wrong answer. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    The E field due to one of the charges (the one at x=1.02) on the y-axis is given by your equation E=k*q/r^2.
    if you draw a line from your charge to the point on the y-axis, this E vector points in this direction. If your other charge (at x=-1.02) has opposite sign, then the y components of the E vectors cancel each other out and the x-components add. Else, the x-components cancel and the y-components add.

In either case break the E vector that you found into its x and y components using SOH CAH TOA. Then do the simple algebra depending on the signs of your charges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook