Determine the intervals on which the function is continuous

In summary, the intervals on which the given functions are continuous are: 15) x cannot equal zero 16) x can equal anything except for x=1 17) x can equal anything greater than 8, but not equal to 8.
Nicolas5150

Homework Statement

Determine the intervals on which the function is continuous, support with graph.
15) f(x)=x^2+(5/x)

16) g(g)= 5-x, x<1
2x-3, x>1

17) f(x)=√(4/(x-8))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the concept behind not being able to have 0/0. Therefore any breaks where x causes the denominator to equal zero would be a discontinuity in the graph.
Most of the problems I have done have had a polynomial where I could factor and then clearly see any denominator values that cause a zero.

15) for this problem I made x^2+(5/x) into (x^3 +5)/ x from here i am not sure where to go since the only thing i can see is that here x cannot equal zero or the denominator will cause a 0/0 effect
when I graph it as well I get an unusual graph as well

16) The only thing I can see to do would be plug in 1 for x resulting in 5-1 = 4 and 2*1-3=-1

17) Here I got rid of the square root by multiplying the function by itself to get 4/(x-8) With this i can visually see that x cannot equal 8. So possibly the intervals would be [8, infinity)

If anyone could help guide me in the right direction on how to approach the problems as well as confirm or deny 17 as being correct it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_2432.jpg
    IMG_2432.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
Nicolas5150 said:
15) the only thing i can see is that here x cannot equal zero
Exactly
16) The only thing I can see to do would be plug in 1 for x resulting in 5-1 = 4 and 2*1-3=-1
Right again. So your answer is?
17) Here I got rid of the square root by multiplying the function by itself to get 4/(x-8) With this i can visually see that x cannot equal 8. So possibly the intervals would be [8, infinity)
[8, infinity) includes 8 - you need to exclude it. There's also < 8.

What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

For a function to be continuous, it means that the graph of the function has no breaks, jumps, or gaps. This means that the function is defined and has a value for every point on its domain.

How can I determine the intervals on which a function is continuous?

To determine the intervals on which a function is continuous, you can examine the graph of the function and look for any breaks or gaps. You can also check the function's domain and look for any points where the function is undefined.

Are there any specific types of functions that are always continuous?

Yes, there are two types of functions that are always continuous - polynomial functions and rational functions. These functions are continuous on their entire domain.

What about trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions?

Trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions are not always continuous. They may have breaks or jumps at certain points on their domain. However, they are continuous on specific intervals, such as the entire real number line for exponential and logarithmic functions or specific intervals for trigonometric functions.

Can a function be continuous at a single point?

Yes, a function can be continuous at a single point. This means that the function is defined and has a value at that specific point, and the graph of the function has no breaks or jumps at that point. However, the function may not be continuous on an interval around that point.