1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the limit of the convergent sequence

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the limit of the convergent sequence:
    ##a_n## =##"3/n" ^ "1/n"##
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+as+x+approaches+infinity++%283%2Fx%29^%281%2Fx%29

2. Relevant equations

--

3. The attempt at a solution[/b

So I tried to get this series to look like 0/0 or ∞/∞ so I could use the L'Hopital rule.
    I took the Ln of both sides. I got (ln(3/n))/n. As n approaches ∞, the numerator is -∞ and the denominator is ∞. Can
    I use the L'Hopital's rule now?

THANKS!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Given the way you've presented the sequence, this rule will be extremely useful to you :

(a/b)^c = a^c / b^c

Big hint : Remember that 1 over something really really big... aka ∞ tends to 0.

Example :

lim x->∞ 1/x = 0

4. Jul 4, 2012 #3
    Thank you,
    So I get (3^(1/n)) / (n^(1/n))
    If n approaches ∞, the the numerator is 1 because the exponent approaches 0.
    So would it be sufficient for me to apply the same mentality to denominator and say
    that it approaches 1? That would give me 1 for the limit of the sequence which is the correct
    answer.

5. Jul 4, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yup :) good job. Sometimes the most basic rules can save you the most headaches.

6. Jul 4, 2012 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, ArthurRead! :smile:

Yes...

7. Jul 4, 2012 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

And no, you cannot just say that ##n^{1/n}## approaches 1.

Consider that ##n^{1/2}## approaches infinity.
    And that ##2^{1/n}## approaches 1.
    ##n^{1/n}## could approach anything from 1 up (although it does approach 1 ;)).

To illustrate this: ##(1+{1 \over n})^n## approaches the mathematical constant e.

8. Jul 4, 2012 #7
    I am sorry "I Like Serena", I don't understand what you mean by "n1/n could approach anything from 1 up". What ever value n has, you will be taking it to the power of 0. So it has to approach 1. I know I am wrong but I don't understand how.

9. Jul 4, 2012 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

You might also say that whatever value (1/n) has, you will be taking infinity to the power of this number.
    So then it would have to approach infinity.

10. Jul 4, 2012 #9
    That makes sense. So am I better off going with my original approach of using L'Hops rule after taking the natural log of both sides?

11. Jul 4, 2012 #10

I like Serena

Homework Helper

12. Jul 4, 2012 #11
    I am not getting the right answer. (ln(3/n))/n: the derivative of the numerator is (-1/n) and the derivative of the denominator is 1. Which gives me lim = 0. Did I differentiate correctly?

13. Jul 4, 2012 #12

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Actually, that looks good. :)

Remember which limit you approached?

14. Jul 4, 2012 #13
    Ah, that was the limit of natural log of the sequence. Since ln(a sub n) = 0, (a sub n) = e^0=1. Thank you so much for guiding me through this. I feel so much better.

by the way, is there an easier way to write (a sub n)?...I'm new to this.

15. Jul 4, 2012 #14

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Good! :smile:

Try:
    Code (Text):
    ##a_n##
    That comes out as ##a_n##.

Similarly
    Code (Text):
    $$\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n$$
    comes out as:
    $$\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n$$

16. Jul 4, 2012 #15
    Got it, Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook