Determine the limit of this function

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem where the limit of x^x is undefined when x approaches 0. He suggests using the fact that x^x is increasing faster than x and using l'Hopital's Rule to find the limit.
raopeng

Homework Statement

find the limit of [itex]x^x[/itex]when x approaches 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am currently revising my Mathematical Analysis and this question pops up. The author only expects the reader to use the most fundamental knowledge of the limit, so I feel my method counts as "cheating"(rewriting as [itex]e^{x lnx}, lim x lnx= 0[/itex]using the L'Hospital's Rule so the limit is 1). Is there an approach that involves "less complicated knowledge" because I really wish to fully grasp every notion of basic math? Thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
That's perfectly valid- you are using the the fact that exponential is a continuous function. That is, [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} e^{f(x)}= e^{\lim_{x\to 0} f(x)}[/itex]. [itex]x^x= e^{x ln(x)}[/itex] and [itex]x ln(x)[/itex] goes to 0 as you say. The limit of [itex]x^cx[/itex] is [itex]e^0= 1[/itex].

Thanks for the reply. That's my idea exactly. But that problem appears in a chapter well before the author introduces the L'Hospital's Theorem so there must be another way to do it... I am torturing myself...

raopeng said:
Thanks for the reply. That's my idea exactly. But that problem appears in a chapter well before the author introduces the L'Hospital's Theorem so there must be another way to do it... I am torturing myself...
I would check to see if the author has discussed this limit in the chapter you're in: ## \lim_{x \to 0} x ln(x)##. Since he doesn't present L'Hopital's Rule until later, it's possible he has said something about this limit, which is the crux of the problem you're trying to solve.

You don't really need l'Hopital for [itex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {xlnx}
[/itex]. I would let [itex] x = e^{-n} [/itex] and take the limit as n→∞.
[itex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {e^{-n}ln(e^{-n})} = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac {-n}{e^n}} [/itex]. I guess this limit is technically a l'Hopital problem, but it isn't hard to see that it goes to zero.

Thank you, HS-Scientist, that's what I later did. It is a bit tedious because jumping from n to x also takes an extra proof so maybe in the end L'Hopital law is easier.

HS-Scientist said:
You don't really need l'Hopital for [itex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {xlnx}
[/itex]. I would let [itex] x = e^{-n} [/itex] and take the limit as n→∞.
[itex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {e^{-n}ln(e^{-n})} = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac {-n}{e^n}} [/itex]. I guess this limit is technically a l'Hopital problem, but it isn't hard to see that it goes to zero.
It's not obvious to me that the latter limit is zero. This limit is an indeterminate form [-∞/∞], which means that L'Hopital's Rule applies, so how did you evaluate the limit without using L'H?

Mark44 said:
It's not obvious to me that the latter limit is zero. This limit is an indeterminate form [-∞/∞], which means that L'Hopital's Rule applies, so how did you evaluate the limit without using L'H?

If your definition of e^x is its power series, then this is rather trivial. You can also use the idea that e^x is increasing faster than x without referencing l'Hopital. If we consider [itex] \frac{x}{e^x} [/itex] and replace x with x+r for any positive r>ln2 we get [itex] \frac{x+r}{e^re^x} [/itex]. The numerator has increased by a factor of 1+r/x and the denominator by a factor of e^r, so we multiplied the fraction by [itex] \frac{1+r/x}{e^r} [/itex]. Now for all x>(1+r)/2 (we can assume that this is the case because r is a constant and we can make x as large as we like), this ratio is smaller than 2/e^r. As long as we have r>ln2, this ratio is also less than one. So each time we increase x by r, we multiply it by something that is smaller than a constant which is less than one, so it must go to zero as we add r to the input an arbitrarily large number of times.

Edit: This argument makes an assumption which I forgot to state explicitly; namely that if the sequence [itex] a_1,a_2,...a_n... [/itex] goes to zero, then so does a function f such that [itex] f(n)=a_n [/itex] (In my argument, a_n is n/e^n evaluated at x,x+r...) This is not true in general, but here it works because of r being arbitrary (as long as it >ln2). This is because f(x) is always bounded from above by the smallest value of f more than ln2 less than x. So every time x is incremented by r, there is a new maximum value of f (smaller than the previous one) for all x greater than this new x.

Last edited:
My method is similar to HS-Scientist. It first starts from the statement that [itex]lim\frac{n}{a^n}=0[/itex] where a > 0 and n is an integer, whose proof uses the fact that the sequence is bounded below and [itex]lim \frac{a^{n+1}}{a^n}=\frac{1}{a}<1[/itex]. And then it passes to the continuous case so for any x we can take the integer part of it and construct two terms which sandwich x/e^x and have a common limit 0. Hence x/e^x approaches 0. But indeed it is too tedious..

1. What is the concept of a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics refers to the value that a function approaches as its input variable gets closer and closer to a specific value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function near a certain point or at infinity.

2. How is the limit of a function calculated?

The limit of a function can be calculated by plugging in values that are closer and closer to the desired input value and observing the resulting output values. This process is known as direct substitution. Alternatively, mathematical techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or algebraic manipulation can be used to find the limit.

3. What does it mean if a function has a finite limit?

If a function has a finite limit, it means that the function approaches a specific value as the input variable approaches a certain value. In other words, the function is continuous at that point and has a well-defined output value.

4. Can a function have a limit at a point where it is not defined?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point where it is not defined. This occurs when the left-hand limit and the right-hand limit at that point are equal, but the function is not defined at that point. In such cases, the function has a removable discontinuity and can be made continuous by defining the function at that point.

5. What is the significance of finding the limit of a function?

Finding the limit of a function is important in understanding the behavior and properties of the function. It helps in determining the continuity, differentiability, and convergence or divergence of a function. The limit can also be used to evaluate indeterminate forms and to define the derivative of a function.