1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the magnet's poles from an image

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

33jqpsm.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Where are the north and south poles of this magnet?

Where are the north and south poles of the wire's magnetic field?

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the Right hand rule to determine the magnetic field of the wire, but I got confused when trying to find the north and south poles of the wire's magnetic field...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2
    It's a trick question. Does that help?

Think about the lines of magnetic field from a wire carrying a current. Where do they begin and end?

4. Oct 23, 2012 #3
    So, no one can crack this?

I'm sure this is solvable, i just lack the knowledge abut the lines of a magnetic field..

Anyone?

5. Oct 23, 2012 #4
    Magnetic field lines are continuous, that is they link up with themselves. So even with a "normal" magnet the lines go right into and through the material. We say that the region where the lines exit the material is the north and where they enter is the south pole, but in the case of the wire the lines do not enter or leave it, they just encircle it, so there is no entry or exit point and thus no poles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook