Finding the North Pole of a Magnet Using the Right Hand Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses using the right hand rule or Fleming's left-hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field in a scenario where a current-carrying rod is held horizontally between the poles of a magnet. The main question is which side of the magnet is the north pole and how to use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic force on the current. The conversation also mentions that both rules can be used and will yield the same result.
Cici2017

Homework Statement

A current carrying rod is held horizontally between the poles of a magnet by a magnetic force.
magnet-current (into the page) -magnet
determine which side is the north pole of the magnet?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I use the right hand rule, then the magnetic field direction is clockwise around the current.
Is this right? What do I do next?

Thanks~

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the question:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 9.02.26 am.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 9.02.26 am.png
    11 KB · Views: 434
Cici2017 said:
If I use the right hand rule, then the magnetic field direction is clockwise around the current.
You don't want the magnetic field created by the current. You want the force on the current due to the magnetic field of the magnet.

There are various right-hand rules and left-hand rules that people have invented. Most recent textbooks that I have seen talk only about certain right-hand rules and don't mention any left-hand rules. But if you are familiar with Fleming's left-hand rule, then you can use it for this problem.

The right-hand rule to which @Doc Al refers is just as good and will yield the same result.

TSny said:
There are various right-hand rules and left-hand rules that people have invented. Most recent textbooks that I have seen talk only about certain right-hand rules and don't mention any left-hand rules. But if you are familiar with Fleming's left-hand rule, then you can use it for this problem.

The right-hand rule to which @Doc Al refers is just as good and will yield the same result.
Got it! Thank you so much~

AuroraUsa said:
I can help you if you are still in a need.
Hi, thank you! Can you please help me with this? It is a follow- up question of the previous one:
Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 9.04.03 am.png

1. How does the Right Hand Rule work for finding the North Pole of a magnet?

The Right Hand Rule is a simple method for determining the direction of the magnetic field around a magnet. To use the rule, hold your right hand out with your thumb pointing in the direction of the current flow and your fingers curled in the direction of the magnetic field. Your fingers will then point towards the North Pole of the magnet.

2. What is the purpose of finding the North Pole of a magnet?

Finding the North Pole of a magnet is important for understanding the orientation of the magnetic field and its interactions with other magnets or magnetic materials. It can also help in determining the polarity of the magnet and its potential uses in various applications.

3. Can the Right Hand Rule be used for any type of magnet?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule can be used for any type of magnet, whether it is a bar magnet, horseshoe magnet, or an electromagnet. It is a universal rule that applies to all magnets regardless of their shape or size.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the North Pole of a magnet?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the North Pole of a magnet, such as using a compass or a magnetic needle. However, the Right Hand Rule is a simple and reliable method that can be used without any additional tools.

5. Is there a difference between the North Pole of a magnet and the geographic North Pole?

Yes, there is a difference between the North Pole of a magnet and the geographic North Pole. The geographic North Pole is the point on Earth's surface that lies at the northernmost end of the Earth's axis of rotation. The North Pole of a magnet, on the other hand, is the end of the magnet that points towards the Earth's geographic North Pole when freely suspended.