Determine the magnitude of the resultant force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
Precursor
Messages
219
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
If [tex]F_{B} = 5kN[/tex] and the resultant force acts along the positive u axis, determine the magnitude of the resultant force.

10i8ai8.png
The attempt at a solution

[tex]F_{Rx} = F_{R}cos 30[/tex]

[tex]F_{Ry} = F_{R}sin 30[/tex]

[tex]F_{Rx} = 3 + 5cos\theta[/tex]

[tex]F_{Ry} = 5sin\theta[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]\frac{3 + 5cos\theta}{5sin\theta} = \sqrt{3}[/tex]

Is this correct so far? I don't know how to isolate [tex]\theta[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
diazona said:
What variable is the problem asking you to find?

It is asking for the resultant force which acts along the u axis.
 
Precursor said:
It is asking for the resultant force which acts along the u axis.
That is right so you don't have to find [tex]\theta[/tex]
 
Winzer said:
That is right so you don't have to find [tex]\theta[/tex]

Then how would I go about finding the resultant force? Using a combination of the equations I posted in my attempt?
 
Yep. I asked which variable the question was asking for for a reason; make sure you know which variable you need to find the value of and don't let it disappear when you combine the equations.
 
diazona said:
Yep. I asked which variable the question was asking for for a reason; make sure you know which variable you need to find the value of and don't let it disappear when you combine the equations.

But I still don't see how I can solve for the resultant force without first solving for theta. Am I missing something?