1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the Main Cycle of a Counter (JK flip-flops)

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the counter shown below, determine the main cycle, and for each of the unused states, show what happens if it starts up there.

http://i45.tinypic.com/33l1lhc.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought I knew how to do this, but after some deliberation I've determined that I probably don't. It seems to me that, if I started at 000...I would get the sequence 000->010->100->101->010...which would then repeat through three states. I don't know why, but something tells me this isn't right. Can anyone explain to me how to do problems like these? And this is a synchronous counter, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is a synchronous counter. I would solve it by setting up a little table like this$$
    \begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|c|c|}
    \hline
    Q_1Q_2Q_3& J_1=\bar Q_2& K_1= 1& J_2=\bar Q_3& K_2=Q_3& J_3=Q_1& K_3=Q_1\\
    \hline
    000&1&1&1&0&0&0 \\
    \hline
    110&&&&&& \\
    \hline
    &&&&&& \\
    \hline
    &&&&&& \\
    \hline
    \end{array}$$On the left in the first row you have the current state ##Q_1Q_2Q_3## which you use to fill out the J's and K's in the first row. That allows you to figure out ##Q_1Q_2Q_3## for the next row etc. Notice that we have a disagreement for the next state of 000 already.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    Well damn, that was a lot easier than I thought it was. So for the sequence, I get:

000->110->011->001->101->000

And when I start on the following out-of-sequence numbers, the following results:

010->010->loop
    100->001->seq.
    111->000->seq.

Thanks Kurtz

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check that one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook