Determine the position of the slider on the pot
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 16K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Harrison01
- 26
- 0
gneill said:What happened to the equation you spent so much time deriving? x should be a unitless number, representing the fraction of the potentiometer that is Ra.
Ok i understand that x and (x-1) are unitles numbers as we yet don't know their value but we do know that their value sums up to 10kohms. We therefore need to work out the ratio. We know we have a Vout of 3v and that Rl is 5kohms. I just can't seem to understand how we use all this data to give us the value of Ra or Rb which will then give us the opposing figure.
braceman
- 30
- 0
I haven't touched anything like this in years and was following this through ok till i hit post 21 and 22.
Could someone please explain how we specifically get the (Rb*Rl)+(Ra*Rl)+(Rb*Ra) part of Vout= E* Ra*Rl/[(Rb*Rl)+(Ra*Rl)+(Rb*Ra)]
I just can't see why its Rb X Rl + the rest..
Could someone show or explain how these 3 are derived.
I would be very grateful.
Could someone please explain how we specifically get the (Rb*Rl)+(Ra*Rl)+(Rb*Ra) part of Vout= E* Ra*Rl/[(Rb*Rl)+(Ra*Rl)+(Rb*Ra)]
I just can't see why its Rb X Rl + the rest..
Could someone show or explain how these 3 are derived.
I would be very grateful.
Mentor
- 20,989
- 2,934
braceman said:I haven't touched anything like this in years and was following this through ok till i hit post 21 and 22.
Could someone please explain how we specifically get the (Rb*Rl)+(Ra*Rl)+(Rb*Ra) part of Vout= E* Ra*Rl/[(Rb*Rl)+(Ra*Rl)+(Rb*Ra)]
I just can't see why its Rb X Rl + the rest..
Could someone show or explain how these 3 are derived.
I would be very grateful.
Expand the expression for the output of the voltage divider using the given components.
Similar threads
- lew123189
- · Replies 1 ·
- Engineering and Comp Sci Homework Help
- Replies
- 1
- Al_Pa_Cone
- · Replies 48 ·
- Engineering and Comp Sci Homework Help
- Replies
- 48
Engineering
Calculate voltage and position of the slider
- Edy56
- · Replies 2 ·
- Engineering and Comp Sci Homework Help
- Replies
- 2
- damon669
- · Replies 25 ·
- Engineering and Comp Sci Homework Help
- Replies
- 25
- chwala
- · Replies 1 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 1
- brenfox
- · Replies 7 ·
- Engineering and Comp Sci Homework Help
- Replies
- 7
- james123
- · Replies 50 ·
- Engineering and Comp Sci Homework Help
- Replies
- 50
- mathmari
- · Replies 4 ·
- Differential Equations
- Replies
- 4
- rikiki
- · Replies 7 ·
- Engineering and Comp Sci Homework Help
- Replies
- 7
- StokeBoy
- · Replies 6 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 6