1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine the position of the slider on a potentiometer

1. Jul 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This circuit shows a 10Kohm potentiomiter with a 5Kohm load.

determine the position of the slider on the 'pot' when the voltage acreoss points 'xx' is 3V

ok so the 10K resistor is a potentiometer which is a variable resistor, so what they are asking when they say the position of the slider is what value is the 10Kohm resistor actually set to, is that right??

I understand that I need to split the 10Kohm resistor in to 2 like i have done on FIG2

I also know that both resistors make 10K ohms.

I am assuming that is the slider was in the middle each resistor would have 5KOHM, therefore is it was a quarter of the way up one resistor would be 2.5K and the other would be 7.5KOHM

So what I need to find is the value of R1 and R2.

So what formula do I need to use for this?

Thanks a lot,

Lewis

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi. Position of the slider can be expressed as a fraction (or a percentage) of the total track resistance, i.e., express R2 as a percentage of the total R1 + R2.

You don't need a formula; you apply Kirchoff's Laws. Note that the current through R1 splits and some goes through R2 and the rest through the load.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook