Determine the ratio ##OA:AR## in the vector problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an alternative method for solving a simultaneous equation problem. The method involves using the similarity of triangles to find the ratio of OA to AR, which is equal to 2:1. This approach is considered beneficial in improving problem-solving skills.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
Vectors
My question is on part (c) only.

1645417467661.png
Find the markscheme solution below;
1645417555056.png

Mythoughts on this; (Alternative Method)
i used the simultaneous equation
##λ####\left[\dfrac {1}{2}a -\dfrac {1}{4}b\right]##=##\left[ -\dfrac {3}{4}b+ ka\right]## where ##OR=k OA##
##- \dfrac {1}{4}bλ##=## -\dfrac {3}{4}b## ⇒##λ=3## and also
## \dfrac {3}{2}a = ka## ⇒##k=1.5## therefore ##OA:OR=2:3## ⇒##OA:AR=2:1##

your thoughts guys...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Say middle point of OB is S, we know SA and PR are parallel. Similarity of triangles POR and SOA gives OA:AR=2:1.

Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
Say middle point of OB is S, we know SA and PR are parallel. Similarity of triangles POR and SOA gives OA:AR=2:1.
Thanks Anutta...its always good to explore different ways in solving Math problems...by doing so i realize that i become better...cheers:cool:

What is the meaning of "ratio" in this vector problem?

In mathematics, a ratio is a comparison of two numbers or quantities. In this vector problem, the ratio ##OA:AR## refers to the comparison of the length of vector ##OA## to the length of vector ##AR##.

How do I determine the ratio ##OA:AR## in this vector problem?

To determine the ratio ##OA:AR##, you need to find the length of both vectors. Then, divide the length of vector ##OA## by the length of vector ##AR##. The resulting value is the ratio ##OA:AR##.

Why is determining the ratio ##OA:AR## important in this vector problem?

The ratio ##OA:AR## is important because it helps us understand the relative magnitudes of the two vectors. It can also help us compare and analyze different vector quantities in a problem.

What does the ratio ##OA:AR## tell us about the vectors in this problem?

The ratio ##OA:AR## tells us the proportion of the length of vector ##OA## to the length of vector ##AR##. It can also indicate the direction and magnitude of the vectors in relation to each other.

Can the ratio ##OA:AR## be greater than 1?

Yes, the ratio ##OA:AR## can be greater than 1. This would mean that the length of vector ##OA## is longer than the length of vector ##AR##. The ratio can also be less than 1, indicating that the length of vector ##OA## is shorter than the length of vector ##AR##.