Determine the resultant of the coplanar forces

  • Topic: Engineering 
  • Thread starter Thread starter tremain74
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Forces Resultant
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
tremain74
Messages
19
Reaction score
4
Homework Statement
I have a problem that states to Determine the resultant of the coplanar forces 100 N at 0 degrees and 200 N at 90 degrees. The answer is 224 N, Ox(the O is theta) = 64 degrees
Relevant Equations
I used the resultant formulas Rx = 100cos(0) + 200cos(90) . Ry = 100sin(0) + 200sin(90). TanO = Ry/Rx.
I used Rx = 100cos(0) + 200cos(90) = 100. Ry = 100sin(0) + 200sin(90) = 200. tanO = Ry/Rx = 2. Therefore O(theta) = inv tan (2) = 64 degrees.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I get the angle as 63.<something> degrees. What do you get for the magnitude of the resultant?

BTW, it's best to do a sketch of this kind of problem to help in your thinking (and our checking). You can upload a sketch using the "Attach files" link below the Edit window.
 
berkeman said:
I get the angle as 63.<something> degrees. What do you get for the magnitude of the resultant?

BTW, it's best to do a sketch of this kind of problem to help in your thinking (and our checking). You can upload a sketch using the "Attach files" link below the Edit window.
For my magnitude of the resultant, the answer was R = √(100^2) + (200^2) = 223.62
 
The method is correct. The result ## R=\sqrt{100^2+200^2}=\sqrt{50000} ## should be rounded to what the answer is.