Addition of a System of Coplanar Forces

In summary, the problem involves determining the magnitudes of F2 and the resultant force, given that F3x=4 and F3y=3 in a right triangle. However, it was initially assumed that F3 is 30 degrees from the x-axis, leading to an incorrect solution. After realizing that the direction of F1 was downward, not upward, the problem became clearer.
tophernuts
1. If the problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Untitled.png

The resultant force acting is directed along the positive x-axis, determine the magnitudes of F2 and the resultant force

And that F3x=4 and that F3y=3 (its a right angle 3-4-5 triangle)

Homework Equations

F1=F1x +F1Y
F2=F2x +F2Y
F3=F3x +F3Y

The Attempt at a Solution

F1y= 4cos(30) = 3.464
F3y=3

And since the resultant force is along the x-axis, the resultant y force (Fry) would therefore have to equal 0.

But when you run the numbers:

Fry=F1Y+F2Y+F3Y
Fry=(+3.464)N + (-3)N + F2y
F2y= -0.464
xsin30=-0.464
x=-0.464/sin30
x=-0.928

But that is impossible because F2 is above the x-axis and therefore couldn't have a negative y value.

This is where I am currently stuck, if it would work out i could figure out the resultant of F2y and F2x which would be F2, and the find out the resultant of all three from there on.Thank you in advance,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

tophernuts said:
1. If the problem statement, all variables and given/known data
And that F3x=4 and that F3y=3 (its a right angle 3-4-5 triangle)

How do you know that F3 is 30 degrees from the x-axis? Your diagram doesn't indicate such.

I don't, I just know that it is a 3-4-5 triangle.

I know that F2 is 30 degrees away from the x-axis though

Well, this is embarrassing.
My friend who I was working on it with and I both failed to see the direction of the arrow F1...
As it is pointing downwards, not upwards, this question makes a lot more sense now...

Sorry for your time!

:blushing:

I would suggest checking your calculations and equations again to ensure accuracy. It is important to double check all variables and equations to avoid any errors. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a diagram of the forces and use trigonometric functions to solve for the unknown variables. Once the values for F2x and F2y are determined, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of F2 and then find the resultant force by adding all three forces together. It is also important to consider the direction of the forces and use proper vector notation to accurately represent the resultant force. Overall, it is important to approach the problem systematically and carefully to ensure accurate and precise results.

Related to Addition of a System of Coplanar Forces

1. What is the definition of a coplanar force system?

A coplanar force system is a group of forces that all act in the same plane. This means that all the forces have their lines of action lying on the same flat surface.

2. How do you find the resultant force of a coplanar force system?

The resultant force of a coplanar force system can be found by adding all the forces vectorially. This means that the magnitude and direction of each force must be taken into account when calculating the resultant force.

3. Can the resultant force of a coplanar force system be zero?

Yes, the resultant force of a coplanar force system can be zero if all the forces cancel each other out. This means that the system is in equilibrium and there is no net force acting on it.

4. How do you determine the direction of the resultant force in a coplanar force system?

The direction of the resultant force can be determined by using the concept of vector components. Each force can be broken down into its horizontal and vertical components, and the resultant force can be found by adding these components together. The direction of the resultant force will be in the same direction as the sum of the individual force vectors.

5. Can a coplanar force system have more than one resultant force?

No, a coplanar force system can only have one resultant force. This is because all the forces in the system must act in the same plane, and the resultant force is the single force that can replace all the individual forces and have the same effect on the system.