Determine the time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude of 21 km

In summary, the U-2 was a high-altitude spy plane that could reach speeds over 600km/h and fly up to 21km high. The question asks for the time required for a missile to reach the U-2's maximum altitude, but without any information about the missile's speed or acceleration, the only solution is to use a quadratic equation and solve for two possible times.
goracheski

Homework Statement

The U-2 was an American spy plane capable of flying up to 21 km high at speeds over 600km/h. Determine the time required for the missile to reach its maximum altitude of the U-2.

Homework Equations

d=v_i t+1/2 at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

d=21000m
a=-9.81m/s^2
v_i=0
t=?

I don't know how to get time by itself and I have tried using the quadratic formula.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i'm confused by this question. there is a missle but you are given no information as its speed (initial or final), or it's acceleration? something is missing here. if the only thing you know is the distance (21000m) then the best you can accomplish is an equation made up of the unknown variables.

there is little more you can do without any other info. you would not use the acceleration due to gravity as there is no suggestion that anything is falling - you only indicate that a missile is headed upwards.

EDIT: the best answer you can probably get is to solve the quadratic:

1/2at^2 + Vi - 2100 = 0

there use -b +/- sqrt( b^2 - 4ac) / 2a

1. How do you calculate the time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude?

The time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude can be calculated by using the equation t = (2v₀sinθ)/g, where t is the time, v₀ is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the significance of determining the time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude?

Determining the time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude is important for flight planning and trajectory analysis. It helps in predicting the path and landing location of the missile, as well as ensuring that it reaches its target accurately.

3. How does the initial velocity affect the time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude?

The initial velocity has a direct impact on the time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude. A higher initial velocity will result in a shorter time to reach the maximum altitude, while a lower initial velocity will result in a longer time.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude?

Yes, apart from the initial velocity, the launch angle and the acceleration due to gravity also play a significant role in determining the time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude. Other factors such as air resistance and wind conditions can also affect the time.

5. Can the time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude be changed?

Yes, the time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude can be changed by altering the initial velocity or the launch angle. Different launch conditions and external factors can also impact the time required for a missile to reach its maximum altitude.