Determine the type of correlation for the two variables given in the data

In summary, the conversation discusses defining the type of correlation, with different values being considered as strong, weak, or moderate. The speaker also mentions how the intervals for these values were determined and how they can be subjective. The conversation also touches on using Pearson's correlation coefficient and the subjectivity of terms such as "strong" and "weak."
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Determine the type of correlation that exists between the two given variables.
Relevant Equations
Pearson's correlation coefficient
Kindly see the attached problem below (i find the topic to be easy and straightforward). My concern is only on the highlighted part:

1627173564896.png

In my understanding, to define the type of correlation i have always approached a straightforward approach.
For value ##1## perfect positive correlation and value ##-1## perfect negative correlation.
any value between ##0.5-1## strong positive correlation.
any value between ##0-0.5## weak positive correlation.
any value between ##-0.5-0## weak negative correlation and so on...
In addition, i have always considered values ##0.5## and ##-0.5## as either positive/weak.

Is my approach correct?

Now to my question, how did they arrive at the interval on the highlighted part above (in yellow). Kindly see table below as a reference...how did they arrive at the values indicated on the table? or they used some data and then went ahead to see how the data is spread out on the graph (by considering outliers where necessary) ...then used Pearson's correlation coefficient to come up with some deduction...i think that's how they did it.
1627173907833.png

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It has nothing to do with the specific data. If you have something that goes from 0 - 1 with 0 being weakest and 1 being strongest, you can chop it any way you like and define any names you like to break that up into ranges from "weakest" to "strongest".

You defined categories for |r|: 0 - 0.5 = weak, 0.5 - 1.0 = strong.

They broke it up into finer categories: 0 - 0.1 = none, 0.1 - 0.5 = weak, 0.5 - 0.87 moderate, 0.87-0.95 strong, 0.95 - (less than)1.0 very strong.

0.81 lies between 0.5 and 0.87 so it's in the moderate category.

RPinPA said:
It has nothing to do with the specific data. If you have something that goes from 0 - 1 with 0 being weakest and 1 being strongest, you can chop it any way you like and define any names you like to break that up into ranges from "weakest" to "strongest".

You defined categories for |r|: 0 - 0.5 = weak, 0.5 - 1.0 = strong.

They broke it up into finer categories: 0 - 0.1 = none, 0.1 - 0.5 = weak, 0.5 - 0.87 moderate, 0.87-0.95 strong, 0.95 - (less than)1.0 very strong.

0.81 lies between 0.5 and 0.87 so it's in the moderate category.
you can chop it any way you like and define any names you like to break that up into ranges from "weakest" to "strongest".

thanks mate for this summary. :cool:

Thanks @chwala the second picture at the OP is quite nice, made me remember some things about linear correlation, I wasn't particularly good at statistics courses during my undergraduate studies (25-30 years ago e hehe).

Likes chwala
"Strong" and "weak" are subjective terms. Look at your graph for the 0.5 < r < 0.87. It certainly shows a tendency of the X values hinting at the Y values. But then look at a particular X value and notice that the Y values can vary by a large magnitude there. So there is a judgment call on whether you want to consider that "strong" or "weak". Some uses require very high standards and others accept lesser standards.

Last edited:
Likes chwala

What is correlation?

Correlation is a statistical measure that describes the relationship between two variables. It indicates the strength and direction of the relationship between the two variables.

What are the two types of correlation?

The two types of correlation are positive and negative. Positive correlation means that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases. Negative correlation means that as one variable increases, the other variable decreases.

How is correlation measured?

Correlation is measured using a correlation coefficient, which ranges from -1 to 1. A correlation coefficient of 1 indicates a perfect positive correlation, while a correlation coefficient of -1 indicates a perfect negative correlation. A correlation coefficient of 0 means there is no correlation between the two variables.

What does a correlation coefficient of 0.5 mean?

A correlation coefficient of 0.5 indicates a moderate positive correlation between the two variables. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable also tends to increase, but not as strongly as with a correlation coefficient of 1.

Can correlation indicate causation?

No, correlation does not necessarily indicate causation. Just because two variables are correlated does not mean that one causes the other. There could be other factors at play that are causing the observed relationship between the two variables.