1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine values of h - augmented matrix

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

YnEsHEY.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried to get it on reduced echelon form, but I haven't done problems like this before so I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2
    What have you tried? Show us the row operations you've done so we can work from there.

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3
    The thing is I don't know where to start. By multiplying with -4 and adding to second row, I have:

1 5 -4
    0 20-h 0

And this doesn't really tell me anything, as I have never done matrix with variables before.

5. Feb 21, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ignore the augmented -column.

What condition must hold with the matrix of coefficients in order for the system to be consistent? (hint: it involves a determinant)

6. Feb 21, 2013 #5
    You didn't calculate that properly. Try again.

7. Feb 21, 2013 #6
    Woops, I meant -20+h.

8. Feb 21, 2013 #7
    Yes that was the answer I was looking for, but in this case, it doesn't matter since you could just multiply by -1. So,

Rewriting the last row in terms of variables, we have:

##0*x + (h - 20)*y = 0##
    ##(h - 20)*y = 0##

Recall that ##a*b = 0## if and only if ##a = 0## or ##b = 0##. One case is that ##y = 0## and that would yield a consistent solution. What must be the second one?

9. Feb 21, 2013 #8
    So if h is 20 the solution would also be consistent?

10. Feb 21, 2013 #9
    Yup, that's correct. Notice that plugging in ##h = 20##, and then row reducing, we get a row of only ##0s## which is consistent. If ##h## was anything but 20, we would have the 2nd row look like: ##0 \ r \ | \ 0## which is inconsistent for any ##r \in \mathbb{R}, r \not = 0##.

11. Feb 21, 2013 #10
    Alright, that made sense. Thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook