1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine whether a function with these partial derivatives exist

1. Dec 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether a function with partial derivatives [tex]f_x(x,y)=x+4y[/tex] and [tex]f_y(x+y)=3x-y[/tex] exist.

3. The attempt at a solution

The method I've seen is to integrate [tex]f_x[/tex] with respect to x, differentiate with respect to y, set it equal to the given [tex]f_y[/tex] and show that it can't be possible.

So after integrating [tex]f_x[/tex], we get [tex]f(x, y) = \frac{1}{2}x^2+4xy+g(y)[/tex]

Then differentating that w.r.t y gives

[tex]f_y(x,y)=4x+g'(y)[/tex]

So

[tex]3x-y = 4x+g'(y)[/tex]
    [tex]g'(y)=-x-y[/tex]

Why would this be a contradiction? Is it because g'(y) can only be in terms of y and not x? Couldn't x be treated as a constant?

Would integrating both derivatives and showing that they're not equal be a valid method?

So with respect to x would be [tex]f(x,y)=\frac{1}{2}x^2+4xy+g(y)[/tex] and with respect to y would be [tex]f(x,y)=\frac{3}{2}x^2-\frac{1}{2}y^2+g(x)[/tex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your function is sufficiently well behaved, then you ought to have [itex]f_{xy}=f_{yx}[/itex]. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetry_of_second_derivatives Does that hold? And you don't really mean [itex]f_y(x+y)[/itex], right? And sure, integrating them both and showing the partials are not equal would work, but it might be more than you need to show.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. Dec 16, 2012 #3
    Thanks.

I'm not sure what [tex]f_y(x+y[/tex] is but it's probably not what I mean!

I'm still not 100% sure why line 9 (tex) is a contradiction..

5. Dec 16, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm guessing line 9 is g'(y)=(-x-y). Sure, that's a contradiction. If x=0 then that's g'(y)=(-y) and if x=1 that's g'(y)=(-1-y). They can't both be true. The equation can't be true for all x and y if you have an x one side and not the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook