1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine whether vector field is magnetic or electrostatic

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three vector fields are listed below. Determine whether each of them is electrostatic field or magnetic field.

2. Relevant equations
    F1(x, y, z) = A (9yz ex + xz ey + xy ez)
    F2(r,∅,z) = A [(cosx/r)er + (sinx/r) e]
    F3(r,θ,∅) = Ar2 e(-r/a) er

3. The attempt at a solution
    Used matrix to determine the first one
    | ex ey ez |
    |δ/δx δ/δy δ/δz|
    |yz xz xy |
    as electrostatic (curl = 0 = -δB/δt) & fine with the how & what defines an electrostatic field
    but . . . .
    not sure how to determine whether one of these fields is magnetic or not!

Help please.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you know about the divergence of the electric and magnetic fields?

ehild

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3
    1. divergence should be proportional to the density of magnetic "charge" (div B = 0 - no monople law)

2. div E = ρ / E0
    (and for a conservative (electrostatic) field the curl should be zero. (Faradays law - curl E - -∂B/∂t))

The difference is that I "get" 2 and can show this by the matrix I showed above, but not sure how to apply 1 to come to the conclusion of whether it's an electrostatic field or magnetic field.

Can I go down a similar route to find that divB = 0

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  5. Apr 10, 2013 #4
    OK, OK I've kicked off a bit early.
    I will be using the equations booklet & make sure I look at it to complete problems in the way I've been taught (although coming back to it from a while ago dulls the mind if you're not using it).

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted