Determine whether vector field is magnetic or electrostatic

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine whether a given vector field is an electrostatic field or a magnetic field. The first field is determined to be electrostatic based on its curl and the properties of electrostatic fields. The second field is discussed in terms of divergence, which should be proportional to the density of magnetic "charge" for magnetic fields. The third field is mentioned, but the conversation ends before a conclusion is reached about its nature.
Roodles01

Homework Statement

Three vector fields are listed below. Determine whether each of them is electrostatic field or magnetic field.

Homework Equations

F1(x, y, z) = A (9yz ex + xz ey + xy ez)
F2(r,∅,z) = A [(cosx/r)er + (sinx/r) e]
F3(r,θ,∅) = Ar2 e(-r/a) er

The Attempt at a Solution

Used matrix to determine the first one
| ex ey ez |
|δ/δx δ/δy δ/δz|
|yz xz xy |
as electrostatic (curl = 0 = -δB/δt) & fine with the how & what defines an electrostatic field
but . . . .
not sure how to determine whether one of these fields is magnetic or not!

Help please.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the divergence of the electric and magnetic fields?

ehild

1. divergence should be proportional to the density of magnetic "charge" (div B = 0 - no monople law)

2. div E = ρ / E0
(and for a conservative (electrostatic) field the curl should be zero. (Faradays law - curl E - -∂B/∂t))

The difference is that I "get" 2 and can show this by the matrix I showed above, but not sure how to apply 1 to come to the conclusion of whether it's an electrostatic field or magnetic field.

Can I go down a similar route to find that divB = 0

Last edited:
OK, OK I've kicked off a bit early.
I will be using the equations booklet & make sure I look at it to complete problems in the way I've been taught (although coming back to it from a while ago dulls the mind if you're not using it).

Attachments

• cylindrical coordinates snapshot.JPG
    cylindrical coordinates snapshot.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 664

To determine whether a vector field is magnetic or electrostatic, we can use the following criteria:

1. Magnetic fields are created by moving charges, while electrostatic fields are created by stationary charges. Therefore, if the vector field is created by moving charges, it is likely a magnetic field.

2. Magnetic fields have a non-zero curl, while electrostatic fields have a curl of zero. The curl can be calculated using the formula: curl(F) = (∂Fz/∂y - ∂Fy/∂z)ex + (∂Fx/∂z - ∂Fz/∂x)ey + (∂Fy/∂x - ∂Fx/∂y)ez. If the curl is non-zero, it is likely a magnetic field.

3. Magnetic fields have a non-zero divergence, while electrostatic fields have a divergence of zero. The divergence can be calculated using the formula: div(F) = (∂Fx/∂x + ∂Fy/∂y + ∂Fz/∂z). If the divergence is non-zero, it is likely a magnetic field.

Applying these criteria to the given vector fields, we can determine the following:

1. F1(x, y, z) = A (9yz ex + xz ey + xy ez) is likely an electrostatic field, as it is created by stationary charges.

2. F2(r,∅,z) = A [(cosx/r)er + (sinx/r) e∅] is likely a magnetic field, as it has a non-zero curl (∂Fz/∂r ≠ 0).

3. F3(r,θ,∅) = Ar2 e(-r/a) er is likely a magnetic field, as it has a non-zero curl (∂Fz/∂θ ≠ 0) and non-zero divergence (∂Fr/∂r ≠ 0).

It is important to note that without more context or information about the vector fields, it is difficult to definitively determine whether they are magnetic or electrostatic. However, using these criteria can give us a good indication.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes the direction and magnitude of a vector at every point in a given space.

2. What is the difference between a magnetic and electrostatic vector field?

A magnetic vector field is caused by the movement of electrically charged particles, while an electrostatic vector field is caused by stationary electric charges.

3. How can you determine if a vector field is magnetic or electrostatic?

To determine whether a vector field is magnetic or electrostatic, you can look at the source of the field. If it is caused by moving charges, it is magnetic. If it is caused by stationary charges, it is electrostatic.

4. Are there any real-world applications of magnetic and electrostatic vector fields?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of magnetic and electrostatic vector fields. For example, magnetic fields are used in MRI machines to produce images of the human body, while electrostatic fields are used in devices like photocopiers and laser printers.

5. Can a vector field be both magnetic and electrostatic?

No, a vector field can only be either magnetic or electrostatic. This is because the source of the field can only be either moving or stationary charges, but not both at the same time.