1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine X-ray Wavelength & Frequency

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    Problem:

Determine the wavelength and frequency of the emitted x-rays when 100-keV electrons strike a target.

Solution:

Assuming all kinetic energy of electrons is used to produce the x-rays,

E_initial=E_final
    K+m_0*c^2=hf+m_0*c^2
    K=hf
    K=hc/λ
    =>λ=hc/K=(6.63x10^-34 Js)(3.00x10^8 m/s)/(1.60x10^-14 J) [because 100 keV =1.60x10^-14 J]

λ=0.12 Å

Also since K=hf,

f=K/h=(1.60x10^-14 J)/(6.63x10^-34 Js)=2.4x10^-19 Hz

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks essentially correct. Just recheck the exponent on your frequency (and my apologies if that's just a simple typo on your part)

I am wondering if this might have been intended as a "reverse photoelectric effect" problem. But since the work function is negligible compared to 100 keV, you come up with the same K≈hf to work with.

A few tips for working problems like this:

It goes easier if you can get used to working in eV rather than always converting to joules.

A useful constant to remember, for going between wavelength and photon energy, is [itex]hc=1240 \text{ eV-nm}[/itex]

It's a good habit to think about whether your answer to any problem makes sense. For example, we (hopefully) know that visible light has a frequency way higher than 1 Hz, and x-rays have frequencies way higher than visible light. Again, my apologies if the 10^-19 was simply a typo.

4. Mar 7, 2013 #3
    Oh yes, that is a typo! Should be x10^19~My apologies, but I'm happy you caught it.

Thanks for the tips, and I'll certainly put in time to commit the value for hc to memory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted