Determining a heat pump's yearly energy output

In summary: I don't know how to estimate how much of the yearly energy need the heat pump will cover. It depends on a lot of factors, including the quality of the insulation in the building and what kind of doors are used for ingress and egress (assuming no windows get opened). Does one usually use some average yearly temperature? No, one doesn't typically use some average yearly temperature. It depends on the weather conditions in the area.
TSN79
A building needs a certain amount of energy during a year (kWh) for room heating. An air to water heat pump has been installed to provide heat to a radiator system (55/40°C). How do I go about estimating how much of the yearly energy need the heat pump will cover? What confuses me is that the outside air temperature varies from -15 to +20°C during the year, and I don't know how to consider that variable. Not that I would know what to do if the outside temperature was fixed :frown: Does one usually use some average yearly temperature? Could anyone provide som basic procedures here? Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
A building needs a certain amount of energy during a year (kWh) for room heating. An air to water heat pump has been installed to provide heat to a radiator system (55/40°C). How do I go about estimating how much of the yearly energy need the heat pump will cover? What confuses me is that the outside air temperature varies from -15 to +20°C during the year, and I don't know how to consider that variable. Not that I would know what to do if the outside temperature was fixed :frown: Does one usually use some average yearly temperature? Could anyone provide som basic procedures here? Thank you!
The quality of the insulation in the building walls and roof will be a major factor, as well as what kind of doors are used for ingress and egress (assuming no windows get opened). Do you have any information on the building insulation?

I'll page @russ_watters to get a better reply for you...

berkeman said:
Do you have any information on the building insulation?
Not really, but that kind of information has gone into a calculation that sombody else has already done, resulting in a total energy need over a year (for room heating) of about 80 000 kWh.

A basic procedure:
1) Calculate total heat loss at the outdoor "design temperature", the typical coldest outdoor temperature.
2) Calculate the internal heat gain.
3) The difference is how much heat is needed to heat the building on the coldest day.
4) The OP implies that the heat pump will not provide the amount of heat calculated in step 3. If so, calculate the coldest temperature at which the heat pump will fully heat the building.
5) Find the outdoor temperature history for your area.
6) Calculate the heat required, and the heat provided by the heat pump, for the range of temperatures from the coldest day to coldest temperature at which the heat pump provides 100% of the heat.
7) Add up the results. The total heat from the heat pump, plus the additional heat needed on the coldest days, should add up to about 80,000 kWh. If so, you are done. If not, start over.

TSN79 said:
How do I go about estimating how much of the yearly energy need the heat pump will cover?
I don't understand. Why don't you think the answer is simply, "all of it"?

1. How is a heat pump's yearly energy output determined?

The yearly energy output of a heat pump is typically determined by using a formula that takes into account the heat pump's efficiency, heating or cooling capacity, and the average weather conditions in the area where the heat pump is installed. This calculation is usually performed by a professional HVAC technician.

2. What factors can affect a heat pump's yearly energy output?

Several factors can impact a heat pump's yearly energy output, including the efficiency of the heat pump, the size and layout of the space being heated or cooled, the quality of the installation, and the climate in which the heat pump is being used. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper use can also affect a heat pump's energy efficiency over time.

3. Is it necessary to determine a heat pump's yearly energy output?

Yes, it is important to determine a heat pump's yearly energy output in order to accurately assess its performance and efficiency. This information can also help homeowners or businesses make informed decisions about their energy usage and potentially save money on utility bills.

4. Can the yearly energy output of a heat pump change over time?

Yes, the yearly energy output of a heat pump can change over time due to various factors such as wear and tear, changes in weather patterns, and changes in energy usage habits. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain a heat pump to ensure it is operating at its optimal efficiency.

5. How can I improve a heat pump's yearly energy output?

There are several ways to improve a heat pump's yearly energy output, such as upgrading to a more efficient model, ensuring proper installation and maintenance, and using the heat pump in an appropriate climate. Additionally, implementing energy-saving habits such as adjusting the thermostat and properly insulating the space can also help improve a heat pump's energy efficiency.