1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining charge of q and the spring coated with metal?

1. Sep 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two initially uncharged identical metal spheres, 1 and 2, are connected by an insulating spring (unstretched length L0 = 1.55 m, spring constant k = 30.0 N/m), as shown in the figure.
    Charges +q and –q are then placed on the spheres, and the spring contracts to length L = 1.250 m. Recall that the force exerted by a spring is Fs = kΔx, where Δx is the change in the spring's length from its equilibrium length. {Correct Answer: a. 3.96e-05 C, b. 1.55 m}

(a) Determine the charge q.

(b) If the spring is coated with metal to make it conducting, what is the new length of the spring?

2. Relevant equations

1/4πε0 * q1*q2/r^2
    f = -kΔx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set fe = fs and got my answer for letter a as 3.16*10^-5 C, which is incorrect from the actual answer. Not sure why it's .8 difference in value. For letter b, I have no idea how to do b.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2013 #2
    Your method for a is correct, you just forgot to write the 1/r².

For question b, you just need to think about what happens to the charges. What changes when you go from an insulated spring to a conducting one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted