1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Concentration of a Tank (Using Linear Differential EQ)

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem states that we have a tank with a capacity of 400L filled with a mixture that has a concentration of 0.05g Chlorine per Liter. The concentration is reduced by pumping in pure water (zero concentration of chlorine), at a rate of 4L/s, and pumped out at 10L sec.

2. Relevant equations I know that the rate of change in concentration is equal to the rate in minus the rate out.

3. The attempt at a solution The rate of concentration input is zero since it's pure water, and I set the concentration of mixture out at x/(400-6t) since the volume is decreasing at some concentration at 6L per second due to the larger amount of mixture being pumped out. So the equation is then dx/dt=0.05-x/(400-6t), at least from what I understand.

Then, using the Linear Differential EQ method, I found I(x)=(400-6t)^-6. Multiplying both sides of the equation, I get (400-6t)^2(dx/dt)+(400-6t)^-7x=0.05(400-6t). The left side is suppose to resemble the product rule, but I'm thinking I really messed something up at some point.

Could someone point out my mistake so I can do a retake? Sorry if this is hard to read, I'm not good at inputting equations. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're saying the concentration of chlorine the mixture is equal to
    $$\frac{x}{400-6t}.$$ Since V=400-6t is the volume of the liquid in the tank, ##x## must represent the total amount of chlorine in the tank. In that case, the units on the lefthand side would be g/s, but on the righthand side, the units would be g/L. The two sides of your equation can't be equal.

At what rate is chlorine leaving the tank when the concentration is x/(400-6t)? That's what you want to set equal to dx/dt.

I couldn't follow what you did here, but I think you're trying to use an integrating factor. The correct differential equation is separable, so you shouldn't need to use this technique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted