Differential Equations: Linear Models

In summary, we have a 500-gallon tank initially filled with 350 gallons of pure water. A 2-pound per gallon brine solution is added at a rate of 10 gallons per minute and the mixture is pumped out at half that rate. The amount of salt in the tank at the moment of overflow is 510 lb. This is calculated by integrating the rate of change of the concentration of salt in the tank and solving for the initial condition of 0. However, there is a discrepancy in the calculation of the units, as multiplying 255 lb/gal by 500 gives a larger number than the correct answer of 510 lb. Further clarification is needed in this aspect.
Arshad_Physic

Homework Statement

A 500-gallon tank originally contains 350 gallons of pure water. A 2-pound per gallon brine solution is pumped into the tank at 10 gallons per minute and the well-stirred mixture is pumped out at one-half that rate. How much salt is in the tank at th emoment of overflow?

Answer: 510 lb

Homework Equations

dA/dt = [(rate in)(Concentration in)] - [(rate out)(concentration out)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did.

dA/dt = (2lb/gal * 10 gal/min) - [A/(350+5t) * 5]

dA/dt = 20 - A/(70+t)

Rearrange:

dA/dt + A/(70+t) = 20

Initial condition: A (0) = 0

eintgral[1/(70+t)] = 70 + t

A(t) = [1/(70+t)] * [10* integral(t+70)dt + c

A(t) = 5(t+70) + c/(t+70)

A(0) = 0;

c = -24,500

Thus; A(t) = 5(t+70) - 24500/(t+70)

A (10)/500 = 400 - 24500/80

= 93.75 lb/gal

This answer is incorrect, as the answer should be 510 lb.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you evaluate at t= 10? If there were initially 350 gallons in the 500 gallon tank, we need to add 150 gallons. With water coming in at a net 5 gallons per minute, that will take 150/5= 30 minutes, not 10. Also, of course, you give A in pounds per gallon. To find the number of pounds in the tank when it overflows, multiply that by 500 gallons.

hi - thanks for help! :)

But I am still confused;

I now understand why t = 30 minutes. So, if I take t = 30, then I get:

Thus; A(t) = 5(t+70) - 24500/(t+70)

A (30)/500 = 500 - 24500/100

= 500 - 245 = 255 lb/gal.

But, if I multiply this 255 lb/gal by 500, I get ridiculously large number! :) I get 130050 lb, which is incorrect..

*I just observed that if I multiply 255 by 2, then I get the CORRECT answer: 510. But I get the wrong units. Also, it doesn't make sense to multiply 255 by 2 :)

So, its the LAST part that's creating problem for me now! :eek:

1. What is a linear model in differential equations?

A linear model in differential equations is a mathematical representation of a physical system or process that can be described by linear relationships between variables. This means that the change in one variable is proportional to the change in another variable, and the overall behavior of the system can be described using linear functions.

2. How are differential equations used in linear modeling?

Differential equations are used in linear modeling to describe the relationship between variables in a system and how they change over time. By setting up a system of differential equations, we can use mathematical techniques to solve for the behavior of the system and make predictions about its future behavior.

3. What are the key components of a linear differential equation?

The key components of a linear differential equation are the dependent variable, the independent variable, and the derivatives of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. In a linear model, the dependent variable is usually the output or response variable, while the independent variable is the input or predictor variable.

4. How do you solve a linear differential equation?

To solve a linear differential equation, we must first identify the dependent and independent variables and their derivatives. Then, we can use techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or variation of parameters to find an expression for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable. This solution can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear differential equations?

Linear differential equations have numerous applications in engineering, physics, economics, and other fields. They are used to model physical systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. In economics, they are used to describe relationships between supply and demand, interest rates, and economic growth. In engineering, they are used to design and analyze systems such as bridges, cars, and airplanes.