Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining How Long My Gas Cylinder Will Last

1. Mar 21, 2016 #1
    I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to post but here goes :wink:

I'm trying to determine how long my argon gas cylinder will last when I am using it for tig welding.

The cylinder is supplied with 1.32m³ (1320L) of Argon at 137 bar (13.7 MPa).

If I set my regulator pressure to 0.5 bar (0.050 MPa) and re-arrange Boyles Law P1V1=P2V2 so that V2=V1/(P2/P1) I will get a volume of 361,680L.
    With a flowrate of 4cfh (113.28L/h) I would expect 361,680L / 113.28L/h to last approx 3192hrs.

Does this sound right - seems ludicrously high to me? Was it the correct way or is there a better / more accurate way, I should have done this?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2016 #2
    The answer is in your question. You have 1320 L of gas. Your flow rate is 113 L/hr. You have just over ten hours of gas flow rate.

4. Mar 21, 2016 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

In other words: 1.32 m3 is not the cylinder volume (it would be enormously huge), but the decompressed gas volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted