Determining if a field is electrostatic or not

In summary, the conversation discusses determining if an arbitrary vector field is electrostatic or not. It is determined that the field must have a curl of zero and be conservative to be electrostatic. The specific example of F = constant / (x^2 + y^2 +z^2) is analyzed and it is found that it is a static field produced by a point source, and thus is electrostatic. The conversation also mentions the source and charge distribution of an electrostatic field and discusses the role of time in determining if a field is electrostatic.
mitch_1211
If i have an arbitrary vector field, say F = constant / (x^2 + y^2 +z^2)
I want to determine if it is electrostatic or not. For this I am thinking I should first determine if it is a conservative field, but not 100% sure, any guidance would be appreciated

:)

mitch

Physics news on Phys.org
An electrostatic field has curl F=0, but the F you right is not a vector, unless "constant" is a vector.

clem said:
but the F you right is not a vector, unless "constant" is a vector.
Yea i think its a trick question, the F is bold in the example I'm looking at, but then there are no vector directions on the right side of the = so in that case, you can't take the curl can you?

I think the OP refers to the modulus of a vector.Notice x^2+y^2+z^2 equals r^2.
My guess is that F is the modulus of a gravitational or electrical field. In such a case we can write the vector field using the direction cosines and, upon taking the curl of that vector, we find it's conservative.

If you have only the modulus of a field, you cannot determine whether it's electrostatic or not.

Of course, any time-independent vector field, which is curl free, can be an electrostatic field. The source (charge distribution) is given by

[tex]\rho=\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E},[/tex]

where I'm using Heaviside-Lorentz (rationalized Gauß) units.

Unless there's more hidden in the problem than stated, F = constant / (x2 + y2 +z2) is just F = constant / r2. You have not stated the direction of this vector, but I assume it is radial:
F = Fr = constant / r2
This is just the static field produced by a point source if the field is central and inverse-square-law in nature. For instance this would be the electrostatic field due to a point charge, or the gravitational field due to a point mass.

The radius vector, [itex]\vec{e}_r=\vec{r}/r[/itex] (with [itex]r=|\vec{r}|[/itex]) is not a constant. Of course, the Coulomb field is potential field,

[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{q}{4 \pi r^2} \vec{e}_r=-\vec{\nabla} \frac{q}{4 \pi r},[/tex]

and thus an electrostatic field. The charge distribution is

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=-\Delta \frac{q}{4 \pi r}=q \delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}).[/tex]

Actually, I think the question is a bit more simple. It is asked whether or not a field is electrostatic. In other terms, if it is time-independent. By looking at the expression, there is no time variable in there. So there we have the "static" part. Now is it electrostatic? Well, from Faraday:
[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{E}=-\frac{\partial\vec{B}}{\partial t}[/tex]

Where the right side becomes zero (time-independent). Thus, in electrostatic, we would need the electric field E to be conservative also.

Sure, any conservative time-independent field can be an electrostatic field. I've only shown this for the Coulomb field.

1. What is electrostatics and how is it different from other fields?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest. It differs from other fields, such as electrodynamics, which also includes the movement of charges, and magnetostatics, which focuses on magnetic fields at rest.

2. How can I determine if a field is electrostatic or not?

A field is considered electrostatic if the electric charges within it are at rest. This can be determined by observing the behavior of the charges - if they are not moving, the field is electrostatic. Additionally, the electric potential within an electrostatic field is constant, while in non-electrostatic fields it varies with time.

3. What are some practical applications of electrostatics?

Electrostatics has many practical applications, including in everyday objects such as magnets, computer chips, and printers. It is also used in industrial processes such as electrostatic precipitation, which removes particulates from air, and electrostatic coating, which applies a thin layer of paint to objects.

4. How do I calculate the electric potential in an electrostatic field?

The electric potential in an electrostatic field can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. Alternatively, it can be determined by integrating the electric field over a given path.

5. What is the role of conductors and insulators in electrostatics?

Conductors and insulators play a crucial role in electrostatics. Conductors, such as metals, allow charges to move freely, while insulators, such as rubber or plastic, prevent the movement of charges. This difference in behavior is due to the ability of conductors to redistribute charges and reach a state of electrostatic equilibrium, while insulators do not allow for this redistribution.